• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need Advice

blokhedd

ive been seeing a build up of crust at my B&Ws nostrils i fear its blood anyone with exp. know if this is a heat/humidity issue and how i might take care of him? basking spot 110-115 ambient 80. humidity is 70 directly under the basking spot and 80+ everywhere else. What can i do to make him feel better? Im willing to call a vet but there arent many good reptile vets here in ohio. thank you for helping.

a few sites say its an URI and that a vet will most probably suggest baytrill should i get some?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you post a photo? I wouldn't give baytril w/o a definitive diagnosis. It can create resistant bacteria and it is hard on the kidneys.

blokhedd

[attachment=6616][attachment=6617] this is the best i could do my phone sucks. i called the vet they wouldnt offer any advice besides for me to come in for fifty dollars plus whatever there treatment is.though ill probably have too.

Attachments

• 20130308125057.jpg
    20130308125057.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130308125119.jpg
    20130308125119.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 11

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Vets can't offer any advice over the phone...it's a legal issue. Is he having any wheezing or respiratory issues like gaping, sneezing, heavy breathing? Could it possibly be substrate dust? You could also try bumping his basking temps up. What are his cool side temps? Is he eating?

blokhedd

he ate a lil turkey this morning he never passes on a mouse. he sneezes but not frequently. cool side is just under 80. i used some hydrogen peroxide on a qtip to clean it and see if it reacted and it did fizz so i dried it thats when i posted and called. When i first got him i had a hard time keeping humidity up thats why i think its URI

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It could be dried material, could be blood if there is something irritating. Lots of matter fizzes when in contact with peroxide. Definitely keep the temps up with humidity, keep your vet appt to get him checked out if you are still concerned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont