• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need some help!!

mike jonesss

i have had my argentine b&w tegu for a little more than a month now. She is in an 8x3x3 enclosure and her basking spot stays between 114-116 degrees. The ambient temp in her tank stays around 75 and drops to about 70degrees at night. The humidity in the tank stays between 60-70% and I am using the reptisun 48" 10.0 uvb. The issue I'm running into, is that she is always hiding. I know it's common for them to hide a lot, but I have not seen her go to her basking spot a single time, nor will she eat very much. I don't feed her in the cage, but I have tried feeding waxworks, ground turkey, mixed fruits and veggies, and she wont eat any of it. The only thing I have successfully got her to eat on occasion is scrambled eggs( I add calcium without d3 and herptivite multivitamin). But I can only get her to eat once every 2 or 3 days and I know that not enough. I even put a worn shirt in her hide as was recommended. I guess I'm just worried because she seems to NEVER move around in her enclosure unless I interrupt her in her hide(which I try to avoid unless I'm getting her out to feed her). When I get her out she instantly tries to find places around the house to hide. Is all this normal or am I being too concerned and need to give her time to settle in??

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Behavior varies, ibdividually, by age, and by season. I wouldn't worry about it. Can wven tker out and let her hide between your belly and shirt.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My colombian gold who is around 20 inch is doing the exact same although the place I let him/her out I`ve removed all hiding spots to enable as much interaction as possible. I find this encourages him/her to come and investigate me more.

Zyn

The only time my blue isn't hidden in the sub somewhere is when he's hungry lol most of the time I force interaction for bath taming time just about every other day. Babies hiding a lot is normal. Have you tried leaving a pinky on a paper plate in her enclosure. My baby blue wouldn't eat outside of his enclosure st first and this got him moving in the right direction.

I'd try feeding in her enclosure for now, it sounds like she's just to stressed to eat outside of it around you.

Last edited:

mike jonesss

Thanks for the responses guys! Im a little slow on the reply but i appreciate the input! Ive been forcing her to stay out and I will let her sleep inside my shirt when I'm relaxing and watching tv and i think its beginning to pay off. the past 2 days she has been moving around her cage a little more and actually using her basking spot. In addition, i was able to get her to eat A LOT of ground turkey today. twice as much as she has been eating. We're making progress lol

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All sounds good and like you`re moving forward just don`t push too hard as you wouldn`t want to take 3 steps back

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980