• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need Trust Tips, Sexing, Species, and Inspection

Paratoxins

So, as my new member post indicated, I'm a new tegu owner to an adult rehome.

I need some trust building tips that you all may have to offer. I'll tell you about her history. As far as what has been told to me, she was initially bought at an expo by a family who did not handle her often and fed her live(so she has a thing for any sizable prey item that moves, including cats, which I take precautions on). As such, she's not terribly used to being handled, but she has never bitten anyone. At any rate, then this young couple, I assume, had seen the many popular tegu videos on youtube and thought it was really awesome how puppy tame and affectionate they were. They found Padma, and adopted her from the family that bought her at the expo... Well... then they realized Padma was not the tegu that they saw in the youtube videos, and, thus, the process begins again. This time she has found us, and we're determined to be her forever home. She's only 2 years old. I've, by far, been handling her every day for a little while. She eats every other day, per what her schedule was previously. What are some other trust building methods, if any, besides daily handling?

This was her enclosure prior to coming to our home. She had a very thin layer of cypress mulch and a heat mat to lay under, and a dog bowl for water.

IMAG1916_1_1_zps1892d87a.jpg

She now lives in a custom I made, 6ft long, 2 ft wide, and stands about 3ft tall... though I still feel like she needs more space, I'll probably upgrade soon.

I also posted pictures of her on another forum, that I will not name, but there was conflicted answers on what people said. From what I heard from the prior owners, the owners before them decided, themselves, that she was a he... and she was an Argentine... then they took Padma to the vet, the owners prior to us, and their vet said that Padma was female and was a Columbian... Then all the conflicting information on the other forum, leaves me very confused on her gender and species. I don't mind either way, it's just nice to know.

As far as inspection, I couldn't help but notice she had a scrape when she got home. Is it anything I should be concerned about? Was it just where she was bumping her nose into things or did she burn herself?

IMAG2294_1_zpsdd1f6a0e.jpg

You can see the cut I was talking about at the tip of the nose.

IMAG2287_1_1_zps0983336b.jpg

IMAG2256_1_1_zpsf18184a7.jpg

Screenshot_2014-01-12-23-25-14_1_1_zpscc87bed1.jpg

Screenshot_2014-01-12-23-29-57_1_1_zpsc22ff0e8.jpg

KritterKeeper

My opinion/guess just from the pics is female simply because of the lack of(or small) jowls. 100% argentine though.
As far as the nose scrape it just looks like nose rub from rubbing her face on her cage, happens alot when theyre kept in small cages . It doesnt look too bad and i wouldnt worry too much about it. It probably wont disappear completely but it should fade a bit.
You said youll probably upgrade her cage soon and i agree that would be a good idea. 8'x4' is the general recommended size for an argentine. Also what are you feeding her?

Paratoxins

My opinion/guess just from the pics is female simply because of the lack of(or small) jowls. 100% argentine though.
As far as the nose scrape it just looks like nose rub from rubbing her face on her cage, happens alot when theyre kept in small cages . It doesnt look too bad and i wouldnt worry too much about it. It probably wont disappear completely but it should fade a bit.
You said youll probably upgrade her cage soon and i agree that would be a good idea. 8'x4' is the general recommended size for an argentine. Also what are you feeding her?

That night she ate a mixture of ground chicken, cabage(most definitely not iceburg), raspberries(they said she loves raspberries, will eat them all day if you let her), and a medium rat since it was her first night home. Last night she ate apples(fed in moderation), ground chicken, bananas(fed in moderation), raspberries, and some chopped green bell peppers. I'm going to try making things very varied for her diet.

I do have a diet question. What about pomegranates? Also, I know they can eat fish. I go fishing in the spring and summer, and most of what is caught is bluegills. Would catching and feeding her fresh bluegills be healthy or bad?

Michael Soto

Very beautiful Tegu, I like your fishing question and from what I understand from reading around in the forms is pretty much as long as the fish isnt posinious or from a contaminated river, lake and so on. One of the forms on this site has a short list of fish and the heath benifits of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus