• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby tegu, have some questions

Crazypotter

Just got my new little tegu today! super exciting, i have a couple of questions. ive been able to handle him twice once when i got him and once after basking. he isnt my first reptile so im assuming this is just because im new and he doesn't trust me yet, but every time i attempt to pick him up, even if im slow as all hell we will whip his tail at me and run away to his hide. also i havent been able to take him to feed him because of this. I ended up giving up and putting a pinkie mouse on a large plate inside of his enclosure so at least hed have something to eat. Ive read that you shouldn't feed them inside because they can ingest the substrate (thats why i used a large plate to attempt to prevent that) any suggestions as to how i can tame him slighty to where i can actually hold him without him going batshit crazy? it was recommend that i put a shirt i was wearing in his hid at night so he gets used to my smell and trusts me more. Any advice would be wonderful:)

Ferdinand

When I first got mine he was really crazy like that. I am sure there are many methods and ways, but I just grabbed mine and put him in my lap while I was watching TV. Once he was out of the cage he was a lot more docile. It might have been a little bit of shock or just being out of his habitat.
But, about a week of that he was really relaxed about me handling him, and now about 3 months down the line he appears to actively want to be held or taken out of his cage by me.

I'd just let him rest on your stomach under your shirt while you watch a movie or something, or study, or something that requires you being pretty still.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When I first got mine he was really crazy like that. I am sure there are many methods and ways, but I just grabbed mine and put him in my lap while I was watching TV. Once he was out of the cage he was a lot more docile. It might have been a little bit of shock or just being out of his habitat.
But, about a week of that he was really relaxed about me handling him, and now about 3 months down the line he appears to actively want to be held or taken out of his cage by me.

I'd just let him rest on your stomach under your shirt while you watch a movie or something, or study, or something that requires you being pretty still.
Yes. Under your shirt on your lap works very well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus