• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Girls on the Block. Some Questions

Earwighoney

Hello all,

First time posting, but I have a lot of questions.

So I got Winona last Sunday on the 21st. The man who sold her to me at the Santa Rosa Reptile Expo didn't seem to know a whole lot about her. In retrospect, I probably should have passed and got a different gal from a breeder.

He told me she is 2 years old, but she is only 28" from snout to tail! I was thinking 2 months, but then she would probably be smaller, right? I asked him when she ate last. He said she had a mouse just the day before. She shed two weeks before. He seemed a little dodgy, like he was just telling me what i wanted to hear. I have been wanting one for so long though, and there she is just sitting there. She is definitely an argentinean and not a colombian. She has the right markings and nose scales. So first question is, how long should she actually be?

Lastly. She has been hibernating. But I dont understand why, since it is only the end of August. I have been keeping the ambient temp at 89-90 F. Her basking spot is not as warm as I would like it to be. Only 97F. Her hide is low 80's high 70's. I have been having problems with humidity. The new mulch seems to need to dry out. I have her in 5" of pure cypress mulch until I can build her new cage in the next month. Humidity is up to 90% but she is shedding fine, just started to peel last night. How can i improve the temperatures? She is burrowing about 23 hours of the day. No interest in basking. Is this normal for August in northern California?

Lastly and most importantly. She is not eating. I have been trying to take her out for 15 minutes a day to feed her. I have offered her a variety of foods and she just wont eat anything but 1 strawberry every other day. I have tried scrambled eggs, with and without the shell, raw ground turkey, strawberries, thawed mice, mealworms, mango and banana now. I have dusted things too and she wont even take the strawberries dusted. She has been with me for a week now and has only eaten 2 strawberries and a pinky sized chunk of turkey in two sittings. I am going to take her to the vet this week for a general wellness check, but does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with her?

Jake lerch

Post a pic of your entire set up. Off the bat i would say she is stressed, obviously. How long have you had it? Also, what heating element are you using? Post a pic of your setup and we can give better advice. One more thing 90% humidity is pretty wet. I keep mine between 70-80. No shedding issues, still has all toes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu