• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Jeweled Lacerta!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Someone brought 2 Jeweled Lacertas to our favorite pet store in trade for a Uromastyx. They were originally thought to be a male/female pair but they both look female. No one that worked there would take them out for us to look at them. They were known to bite everyone. My wife took out the first one and got bit 2 or 3 times. I took out the second one with only a few chases. They struggled at first, the one my wife was holding spent most of the time trying to bite her. The one I held never tried to bite and didn't struggle too often so we bought it.

Here she is!!

IMG_1702_.jpg

The males are said to have better colors. Look at Bobby's. Hopefully she will calm down enough to be show in public.

Tux

5 Year Member
i picked up a male/female pair today, when handling hold them close to your chest, when their eyes are covered in this manner they calm right down, i am however not impressed with the condition of mine but since I had paid already and their hard to find here, I figured I'd do my usual and bring them to proper health as they are still small.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Once she calmed down I was holding her loosely in my hand without a problem. Some of the people that worked there were still reluctant to even touch them!!

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I hope someday to get some Jewels as well! They're so pretty.

Tux, do you think you might end up breeding your pair? How is the females doing? I remember the breeder mentioning to me she had a walking problem or something like that?

Spencer

Tux

5 Year Member
They will make it they aren't THAT bad, if they were I wouldn't ever consider breeding them. The female appears to walk fine. The male has a slight kink in his tail that I couldn't see until he was out of the container, the female appears to have a regrown tail and some stuck shed. As for breeding it depends on their condition as they age, if they are healthy I will be getting more from a different source and breeding, if not than they are pets and breeding stock will come at a later date.

Tux

5 Year Member
I should point out that dont REALLY regrow their tails, its possible to some extent but not like a full tail, some regrowth normal. You see the odd one but they aren't common and they look awesome!.

Tux

5 Year Member
Than get her off of newspaper and onto some substrate she can burrow into, i give a lil more at 1 end than the other as its a bit more natural.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tux said:
Than get her off of newspaper and onto some substrate she can burrow into, i give a lil more at 1 end than the other as its a bit more natural.
I was thinking the same thing. Would you suggest cypress or a top soil/sand mixture. We had a few hundred pounds of topsoil/sand for the Ackies and I threw it all out in the back yard. Maybe I can bring some back in without any bugs, it's been below freezing at night for ever it seems.

Tux

5 Year Member
I'm using sand/topsoil which I baked before I added to the enclosure. They burrowed right away and seem to be brumating, reminding me of tegus haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214