• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Has not Eaten yet

Tucker

Hey yall. I got Bender this past Thursday. It's Monday now and I have not been able to get him to eat. I've taken him out of his house and offered him venison, mango, canteloupe, canned omnivorous lizard food, and a quail egg with no success. All he does all day is sleep, I never even see him basking and I'm starting to get worried. Should I be?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey yall. I got Bender this past Thursday. It's Monday now and I have not been able to get him to eat. I've taken him out of his house and offered him venison, mango, canteloupe, canned omnivorous lizard food, and a quail egg with no success. All he does all day is sleep, I never even see him basking and I'm starting to get worried. Should I be?
Nope.

Zyn

I wouldn't worry it's pretty normal for all reptiles after entering a new place and you said it's wild caught. If anything get a temp gun and check his basking. Not the air temp the spot itself

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try feeding him when hes alone I know my little guy/gal is much smaller but he/she is kinda shy round food and only tends to eat, at the minute if no one is watching.... but I don`t think you have anything to worry about as no animal will just starve its self to death.

Tucker

I'm gonna see if he responds to live prey tomorrow, he's about 2 feet-ish from snout to vent, any suggestions as far as size goes? I was thinking rat pup.

Tucker

Well he didn't care for the rat pup I offered him (ball python did though) but he did chow down on some venison-mealworm-strawberry-grape-trout-quail egg casserole lol. Then he went exploring the living room for half an hour. Basking comfortably on his patio now. Looks like my boy is healthy!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sounds good ... looks like it was all just a little bit too much for him and he needed to settle in

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980