• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

newnewnew (:

Dereks-Dragons

hey, im new to this community as well as to tegus, but not to reptiles. im a bearded dragon breeder. i also have a few sailfins which im rehoming due to a few issues with their caging, i also have 2 adul 4+ foot male green iguanas, i have in the past kept water dragons, poison dart frogs and many other tyes of frogs as well.

now, im 15 years old, my name is Derek annd im going into 11th grade. im not your typical 15 YO though :p.

well onto my tegu. i got him from outback reptiles at the white plains metro reptile expo thius past sunday. went there looking for a ARG. B&W but came home with my lovely paraguay red tegu. im not a fan of arg. reds but my paraguay is, jjust something different. hes a lil "houdini" or a genius though. i keep him in a 4X2 temp cage for now that is solid pvc platic with ventilation holes(i bought the cage at the expo as well) and it has glass sliding doors and a key lock on it. and yet he gets out once or twice a day so far.../ hes 27.5 inches and a male. ill be building a 8x4 cage soon an getting a female tegu ad i plan to breed at some time in the fututre but right now im jsut enjoying these amazing creatures as pets. heres where i have a few questions. im most likely going to get a baby from bobby hill. ive spoken to him multiple times already. now what should i get? im kinda stuck between an AA and an extreme giant... and opinions here? well heres a few pics of my new lil buddy for you guys :)
Dereks-Dragons said:
hey, im new to this community as well as to tegus, but not to reptiles. im a bearded dragon breeder. i also have a few sailfins which im rehoming due to a few issues with their caging, i also have 2 adul 4+ foot male green iguanas, i have in the past kept water dragons, poison dart frogs and many other tyes of frogs as well.

now, im 15 years old, my name is Derek annd im going into 11th grade. im not your typical 15 YO though :p.

well onto my tegu. i got him from outback reptiles at the white plains metro reptile expo thius past sunday. went there looking for a ARG. B&W but came home with my lovely paraguay red tegu. im not a fan of arg. reds but my paraguay is, jjust something different. hes a lil "houdini" or a genius though. i keep him in a 4X2 temp cage for now that is solid pvc platic with ventilation holes(i bought the cage at the expo as well) and it has glass sliding doors and a key lock on it. and yet he gets out once or twice a day so far.../ hes 27.5 inches and a male. ill be building a 8x4 cage soon an getting a female tegu ad i plan to breed at some time in the fututre but right now im jsut enjoying these amazing creatures as pets. heres where i have a few questions. im most likely going to get a baby from bobby hill. ive spoken to him multiple times already. now what should i get? im kinda stuck between an AA and an extreme giant... and opinions here? well heres a few pics of my new lil buddy for you guys :)

Attachments

• eqwd.jpg
    eqwd.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2
  • teg.jpg
    teg.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
  • qWE.jpg
    qWE.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2
  • saf.jpg
    saf.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome aboard, congrats on the new tegu, as far as what to get, well thats up to you, if you want something huge go with the giant, if something with a bit more color try the AA's, some of those have some nice coloring to them

Dereks-Dragons

i liek the morwe white. but ive seem AAs and they all seem to look almost marroonish and brown. thats why in still undecided. buyt my time is short if i wanna be getting a 2011 lol

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are other hybrids that are pretty neat looking, red/blue b&w/red, etc. Some of the regular black and whites have a lot of white to them as well. Congrats on the tegu! Do you have any pics of your sailfins?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol yeah you dont have much time, if you want the white go with the extreme, but be advised some are darker than others, mines somewere inbetween, he gets dark brown when shedding and turns a creamy color after but he isnt as white as my normal

Dereks-Dragons

well, whateverr i get has to be able to get along with my paraguay red male so im trying to stay arund the same size as well. which would be a female extreme at 4.5 or so ft.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you plan to breed be advised you will need to seperate them, so 2 enclosures will be needed, why not get a female high contrast from bobby?

jumper123

I love the AA, personally.. Good Luck with whatever choice you make! they are big gu's! Your red is a cute one!

Dereks-Dragons

Well, I know this is gonna sound crazy but I'm rele not a fan of reds. Arg. Reds that is. I love my Paraguay he's almost a black and white with red accents :b. I think I may go with the extreme giant. I don't PLAN on breeding untimely after college and I still have 2more years in high-school so everything is fine there. I'm slowly building the 8x4 cage I got all the wood I need for free from my job(construction) I got 17 and a half sheets of plywood yesterday lol. I'm going to silicone in plactic panels to the inside and get tempered glass sliding doors with a lock. My Paraguay keeps gettimg loose and idek how lol

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's a tegu lol, they are masters at escaping, you gotta find out how he's escaping, they are smart and remember how they got out and will keep doing it

Dereks-Dragons

I think he was pushing the heaatlamp out and getting out thru the hole so I drilled holes and zip tied a piece of chicken wire over the hole and put the light on that. He's s genius. He ous tame/calm but a lil skquirmish and he tired to bite yesterday Wen I captured him from an escape but he couldn't reach me :b

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980