1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

No more UVB. Tegu by window

Discussion in 'Extreme Giant (Chaco White Giant) Tegu Discussion' started by Jack Curry, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Jack Curry

Jack Curry New Member

Now that it has stated to stay lighter longer I have stopped using UVB lights for my lizards. I've had the UVB light off for my beardie for about 2 weeks and he seems to be doing great. So I moved my Tegu over to the other window and haven't had any problems. These windows get plenty of sunlight all day. I don't think this would be a problem because I guess it simulate how it would be in the "wild". Let me know if you think I should put his light back on his tank. Also I have a 100w basking lamp, I used to have a 150w but we are using it for our chicks right now. I will probably give the Tegu the 150w light back after the chicks go outside. Is 100w good for now though? He can get about a foot away from it. Let me hear your opinions or advice please.
  2. viejo

viejo Member

Unfortunately window glass blocks UVB rays.
    Roadkill, beantickler and Walter1 like this.
  3. beantickler

beantickler Active Member

I agree with viejo... Most window glass has a UV blocker. It wont block 100% but it will block most...
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill Active Member

Glass doesn't need a "UV blocker" per se, it has enough impurities that it "naturally" absorbs UV. There can be some transmission, but it is going to be minimal. There's a reason why you can't tan behind regular glass..... Even ultra-clear glass absorbs a significant amount of UV.