• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pandora taming help!

Bobby1220

Hey all, my girl woke up a week ago and she is in mid shed. She is eating like a champ, exploring my room and is queen of the floor (making my beardie , spike ...whom we recently found out after 12 years of mystery is a girl, very curious). But, my main problem is that she is still very skittish of my hand. She will climb around my feet and onto my lap but only for a few seconds. Once i introduce the hand, slowly and at her eye level she will slowly pull back and ill stop it and place it on the floor, to which she will cautiously saunter up and lick a few times...then wander off back to her basking spot or to her burrow. I am worried that since she is mid shed and I cant handle her I wont be able to bring her to the bath tub so it helps her shed.
And advice?

Attachments

• Photo 18.jpg
    Photo 18.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3

murilstone

i would like to hear some response to this also, i seem to be having the same problem. My Dude dont have any problem with "me" but i put my hand near him and he tenses and gets ready to escape. we have been having daily "bathtub" sessions with huge improvements but this problem persists.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Let your tegu come to you...that's the best advice anybody can give you. Once your tegu trusts you, as long as you don't do anything to jeopardize that trust, you'll have a tegu that WANTS to come to your hand. No joke...I spend the first week or so just leaving my hand in the cage whenever I have a free minute and I'll just leave it there. Over and over. And over. And over. Eventually, your tegu will recognize that you aren't a threat. Once your tegu starts to associate your hand with freedom (getting out of the cage to roam or whatever) it's ON. Everytime I get near my cages, both tegus come running up to the doors and start scratching to be left out. It's all about patience and being REALLY bored for a while. BUT, if you can maintain and not lose sight of your goal, you'll have a ridiculously outgoing tegu eventually.

That's how it's worked for me with 3 different tegus--every single tegu I've raised with this method has wound up to be incredibly tame.

Bobby1220

thanks for the advice, and she is alot redder now, almost a crimson because she just started the shed and she looks stunning , ill post pics soon =)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan