• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please Help!!!

Yankeegirl1202

I just got a colombian gold tegu about 1 1/2 months ago from a reptile expo. He is about 3 months old now. If i dont disturb him during the day he will hide under the bedding all the time. He never comes up. I take him out every couple of days to feed him. I dont know what is wrong :( His basking spot is at 100 degrees to 105 degrees. The cool side of the tank is around 75 degrees. He has a water dish. I just dont know what to do :(. And today when I took him out I gave him a bath and when i took him out of the bath he went ballistic. He jumped to the ground and ran and hide under a table. I just dont know what to do. He hates me :( Please if anyone has any advice i am open to an and all suggestions!

jcrunk

im new too, and ive had some of the same problems with my two columbians.... i just did what the care sheets say and took some advice that was pretty much be patient its a baby...

Yankeegirl1202

Yeah, i fed mine some egg today and he ate it like crazy. lol And after that he has actually stayed out of the bedding. Oh and i misted his bedding a lot to up the humdity. I think that might be part of the problem. He doesnt really like crickets that much, what do you all feed yours on a daily basis? Oh and I think I might set his tank on my computer desk where he can see me all the time but i will ignore him. I read that that was the best way to get them used to seeing you. Any input?

nemo66

5 Year Member
well read all the care sheets you can find and get as much info as posibal. i spent months studying and reading b4 i got my 2 tegus. how long have you had the tegu? its best to give them a weak or so b4 you start handling them regularly. he may not be used to his surroundings yet. take one of your shirts that you have worn and place it in the cage as this will help him get used to your smell. dont start by trying to pick him up right away just rest your hand in the cage for 10 or 15 mins and let him get kinda used to it. once he gets some what accustom to your hand being in his cage start trying to pet him but slowly. you dont want to startle him. in the long run you realy have to earn his trust. when you first attempt to pick him up just gently slide your fingers underneath him and dont grasp this way he dosnt feel threatened.let him know your hand is a safe place. in the wild big animals eat small ones and to him you are a giant. just take it slow and keep it up. dont give up on him he will eventual come around.

another trick that i have used is to run them a nice warm bath. about 100 degrees and let him soak for a bit and then gently hold him up above the water. or let him climb onto it. he will then see your hand as safety from the water.

it wont happen over night though. just keep it up.

they make great pets in the long run

nemo66

5 Year Member
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=21</a><!-- l -->

this explains alot better than i can

jcrunk

mine dont even come out to eat unless theyre hungry. i used to wake them and try to make them eat, but the first lesson i learned is that you cant make a gu do anything it doesnt want to....

isdrake

5 Year Member
How many hides do you have? If you put more hides and decoration in he might feel more secure in the enclosure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu