• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Poo question!!

Weedazon

5 Year Member
Hey all, I was just curious what normal tegu poo is supposed to look like. My mom just texted me to say that Zeke's poos are smelly, brown and runny. Is that normal? I just didn't know if they should be more solid or not. He eats ground turkey, pinky mice, and cooked egg. While I am at school until the weekend, my mom is trying to help me calm down his food aggression by feeding him in a seperate container, which apparantley he would rather poop in than eat. :roll:

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
It shoulb more solid. Hold old is you're tegu? I guessing it's still small since it's bening feed pinky mice. If so it should be eating more insects.

Also these are two good links to read itf you haven't already
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- l -->
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353</a><!-- l -->

Hope this helps

Weedazon

5 Year Member
I'm honestly unsure of his age, I bought him at an expo a few months back. I'm pretty sure he's less than a year though; he only just started putting some weight on & growing after hibernation. He's still pretty small though. Here is a photo I took a few days ago of Zeke...it's a crappy cell phone picture, but it's the most recent one I have.
31077_389764058790_501733790_4232102_3365393_n.jpg

So then do you think my staple consists of too much turkey/egg and not enough insects? Is the insect exoskeleton what gives tegus fiber? I will try giving him some insects tomorrow; I just hope he's not too nervous in his feeding bin to chase them down (if I buy crickets). Thanks for the help though!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is normal, when feeding eggs, tegus can have a runny stool, it depends on the diet.

fireimp141

Youngins and juviniles need insects to be a big part of their staple, its nutritious and good for growth. Mine won't usually touch them unless they are some big sumguns. My gu only poo's in the tub when he's getting his bath so his is always runny lol

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
T o add to his question what should be the percent of mineral deposits... the calcium deposits. my tegu puts out some with poop and sometimes she just puts out the calcium alone, whitle with a yellow yoke color in the center. is there something wrong here? Am i giving her to much calcium (no d3 by the way)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu