• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Possibly a "chacoan"?

cshouston

Hey all... I'm going to post two pictures of my tegus and see what everyone thinks. One was a "captive bred" (ranched) import from South America, likely born in early February. The other was captive bred in North America, purchased by someone last year in July as a hatchling, and later picked up by me when they no longer wanted it.

twotegus01.jpg

twotegus02.jpg

Two things stand out to me right away. First, overall size: the 2010 import baby is currently 18" long from the tip of its nose to the tip of its tail. The 2009 American bred tegu is 19" long from nose to tail. However, the '09 has more girth to it, whereas the '10 is long, but slender. Granted, I know the '09s previous owners weren't the brightest bulbs on the shelf and well known impulse buyers at our local reptile shop, so they may not have fed it properly and it may also have tried to hibernate during the Winter. Still, the 3-4 month old baby is already almost as big, so it makes me wonder about what role genetics play.

Second, the shape of the head... the 2010 has a much narrower, pointier head. The '09 has a much rounder, blunter head in comparison. Whether that's due to age and girth I cannot say, but they're almost the exact same length so I would think the head size and shape would be more similar in that case. That's what makes me wonder if whatever farm, or however they do it down there, in South America may have been breeding with larger stock related to the locality which produced Varnyard's extreme giants.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter? Chime in!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They look like normals to me as well, this is what a 18 inch extreme looks like:

Attachments

• DSCN3546.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 6

cshouston

Sounds good! I wasn't expecting it to be, I was just struck by the perceived difference in head shape.

Wow, those extremes are gorgeous. I have got to get me one of those this season. Incredible color on those babies... *mind blown*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutz4tegus