• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question about a dedicated feeding tank

Turbine

5 Year Member
I have several reptiles, all of which live in separate vivs and each one has its own feeding tank.
I'm expecting my first b&w tegu this afternoon and would like to know if I should do the same with him/her.
All my current reptiles were babies when I got them. The first week I had them I fed them in their vivs, but i used paper towel as a substrate.
With the tegu i already have cypress down as substrate. Here is my question.
should I feed the tegu in his viv for the first week while he/she gets adjusted or should I move him/her to the feeding tank for meals?
Sorry that was lengthy.
Thank you for your help

Justin

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You should handle the new one as little as possible for the first week as it gets used to it's new surroundings. Put it in it's own tank, but don't leave it isolated, it needs to see things going on around it so it doesn't freak out every time something moves.

I use newspaper for our hatchlings last year, both to reduce the chance of impaction (I threw crickets in, in the morning) and also because I had to change the newspaper every day since they made such a mess.

Turbine

5 Year Member
DaveDragon, thank you for replying so quickly. The tegu will be in a room that gets a lot of traffic as I would like him to get used to people.
I will get rid of the cypress in favor of newspaper until he grows and will place food directly in the viv for now.

Thanks again for the help.

Justin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029