• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

questions b&w

Diesel

Alright so I have a few questions for everyone that can help me with my first Argentine.. now I'm sorry but I cannot post pictures.. I try to attach files and it just won't upload so sorry i cant show my little guy as of right now. Anyway just to give you the specs to start off with.. he is an import baby this year and is eating shedding and everything perfectly. He appears to be healthy for now. Looks great as well. :) he has three hides. Two basking spots humidity is never lower than 60 but its usually 70. I supplement his food and he has an mvb bulb and solar glow 10.0 florescent his cool side is 80 warm 90-95 one basking spot is 115 the other 105 if anything needs changed please let me know!
First question. When I handle him does him sleeping on my lap count or is it better for him to be crawling all over me.
Also he is mostly calm but sometimes jumpy for no reason. Is this just probably because he is still so young?
Next. I know this is somewhat of a stupid question. But how soon will he grow like I know they grow rapidly but I measured him and no results in a week. Is that too short of an interval? Sorry. I'm just really eager :)
Thanks for any answers and help!
If you have any tips or anything. You are more than welcome to share :)
Thank you all.

m3s4

Diesel said:
Alright so I have a few questions for everyone that can help me with my first Argentine.. now I'm sorry but I cannot post pictures.. I try to attach files and it just won't upload so sorry i cant show my little guy as of right now. Anyway just to give you the specs to start off with.. he is an import baby this year and is eating shedding and everything perfectly. He appears to be healthy for now. Looks great as well. :) he has three hides. Two basking spots humidity is never lower than 60 but its usually 70. I supplement his food and he has an mvb bulb and solar glow 10.0 florescent his cool side is 80 warm 90-95 one basking spot is 115 the other 105 if anything needs changed please let me know!

First question. When I handle him does him sleeping on my lap count or is it better for him to be crawling all over me. As far as taming and getting familiar and comfortable with you? Yes it counts. If he'll walk around on you, sit on your arm, shoulder etc. that's fine too.

Also he is mostly calm but sometimes jumpy for no reason. Is this just probably because he is still so young? Age is a primary factor, yes. When they are this young, even if they are beginning to feel comfortable around you, it doesn't mean they are comfortable with their surroundings - noises, smells, lighting - anything that might trigger a sensory over-load with a tegu this young, most likely will result in him being skittish and flighty. That should change with age, socialization and your tegu figuring it all out.

Next. I know this is somewhat of a stupid question. But how soon will he grow like I know they grow rapidly but I measured him and no results in a week. Is that too short of an interval? Sorry. I'm just really eager :)
No question is stupid and although tegus grow like weeds, don't expect to "add water" and see him magically grow. :p They pack and size and weight quickly enough just give it some time, usually more then a week :p

Thanks for any answers and help!
If you have any tips or anything. You are more than welcome to share :)
Thank you all.

Diesel

Lol well thanks :) I want a jolly giant :) so I was just making sure I wasn't screwing up with him not growing fast

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jolly giant he may not be, Colombians typically don't get as big as the others. They grow fast just not as fast or noticeable as the larger tegus as well. Length wise they can be around the three foot mark but not as heavy or just with a lighter frame.

Diesel

Well good thing its an Argentine :) lol he is a baby and just got him a week ago. His name is reptar.. my cololmbian is diesel.

Diesel

Yeah I figured since he is the only one tegu in my signature. Lol I wish I could post pictures.. I really don't understand how my laptop and tablet won't work

m3s4

You use google? If so, download picasa. You simply upload a photo to their site, then copy the correct link and paste it on the forum. You can make and arrange files as well as import anything from your phone/cam or pc and manage it all via their utilities.

Pretty awesome program. I use it for all my pic uploads.

Nice editing abilities as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont