• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Questions on behavior

lala_land

[attachment=4194]
I recently got my very first Tegu. He is a beautiful baby red and is both alert and eats like there is no tomorrow. He is about 7 inches long and did loose the very tip of his tail because he was not handled correctly by a friend of mine who has since been schooled on how to handle him properly. He has been eating since i got him and prefers turkey and blueberries and tends to turn his nose to anything else (except his weekly pinkie mouse which he looks forward to every week). He has gained some weight since i took the picture i have attached.

He doesn't like to be handled but doesn't really object to it either. I have a tendency to put my hand on the glass of the tank when he's out sunbathing and he immediately gets up and starts flicking his tongue and my hand and trying to get as close to it as possible. After noticing this i decided to try and put my face up to the glass, he seemed completely unresponsive to this so i decided to simply flick my tongue out to him to see if it would trigger and a response. And it did! he immediately ran up to me and started digging and flicking his tongue out trying to smell me.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen this behavior in their Tegus? and also if it is an aggressive behavior? he is not puffing himself up, he just seems to be getting overly excited. And he only does this behavior for me. anyone else who has tried he has ignored.

Thank you :heart:

Attachments

• 469090_3756055658716_1196215227_33607673_1406641478_o.jpg
    469090_3756055658716_1196215227_33607673_1406641478_o.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 5

Dana C

At this early stage in your relationship with him, he is getting to know you by smell. He can't smell you through glass. I wants to smell the image so I would let him. Keep you hand still but inside his enclosure for as long as you can. Let him approach you and taste you which is what part of tongue flicking is all about, smelling and tasting. Don't be surprise if early on he nips you just to get a better idea of what you taste like. He likely won't do it more than once.
When he approaches your hand several times, extend a finger and try to touch his cheek. Touching from the side is much less intimidating as he can see what is coming and can see that it is you. Talk to him and talk to him some more. He will also identify you by your voice. Don't rush trying to hold him. Some Tegus will love to climb all over you and will relax in your arms and nap but they will never really like to be held. Don't force it. If I were you, I would not let others hold him until he is comfortable with just you. Then you can introduce other humans to his world. Also, as he grows, he will become more confident and less likely to move into the "prey" mode. Right now he is very little and would be prey to other Tegus, birds, snakes etc. and knows it.

Just take your time and give him time. It can take months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu