• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

qustion!

Soubi_marblez

5 Year Member
:bang

im getting a b&w tegu, and i was wondering about its light! i know it needs uvb lighting and ive been looking at the pet stores and none have uvb light, just daylight night light and basking light! so i was wondering how many minutes/hours a day does a tegu need outside for the appropriate uvb absorbtion?

ashesc212

5 Year Member
You can order the UVB light online at Petmountain.com or Reptilesupply.com. You should get a Mercury Vapor Bulb or a Reptisun 10.0.

You would probably need the tegu to be outside all day otherwise.

FoxxCola

5 Year Member
I agree, ordering them online is the best way to go about it. However, if you do not feel comfortable ordering online just ask your pet store. I am 99.9% sure that they can order them in. Most pet stores just don't like to because they are expensive and they don't sell well.. (terrible, I know) But yeah, just ask what kind of mvb and uvb lights they can get in for you.

gboleslavsky

5 Year Member
The cheapest way is to get the lights at the reptile shows. You need more than you think, the UVB intensity falls off very quickly the farther away the animal is from the light, plus the screen filter a lot. I use a UVB meter to get around 15 mW/cm2 and I have to use 4 160 watt mercury vapors and 4 compact fluorescent UVB lamps to get the right intensity in a center area (4x4) of a 10x4 enclosure. When the tegus lived in 75 gallon tank I used 2 Mercury Vapor and 1 compact fluorescent, less was not enough

Tux

5 Year Member
gboleslavsky said:
The cheapest way is to get the lights at the reptile shows. You need more than you think, the UVB intensity falls off very quickly the farther away the animal is from the light, plus the screen filter a lot. I use a UVB meter to get around 15 mW/cm2 and I have to use 4 160 watt mercury vapors and 4 compact fluorescent UVB lamps to get the right intensity in a center area (4x4) of a 10x4 enclosure. When the tegus lived in 75 gallon tank I used 2 Mercury Vapor and 1 compact fluorescent, less was not enough

What the heck bulbs are you using? I get 90-95Ã?â??Ã?µW/cm2 with a single 160w powersun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029