• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

recommendations on other lizards before getting a tegu

tam

hi im no expert on tegus iv only just got my first one but iv had beardies for about 7 years now. they are fun and i find them quite easy to take care off. when im at home they have the run off the house and when they hide they are normally in the warmest part they can find. i also have kids and a dog which my beardies have been brought up with they clime on my dog and i find they can handle the noise my kids make very well. they do eat alot off crickets and enjoy there salad

larissalurid

spikeleebd said:
yes im looking for something between a beardie and a tegu

I'd get a blue tongue skink. My Merauke is only 7 months old (growing an inch per month since I got him) and already 18 inches long and definitely still growing! So he'll be larger than a beardie and already is even as a youngin. I'd get a 50-75 gallon tank (NOT 55! much too thin and no floor space) and they look amazing and aren't too hard to care for or aggressive. I highly recommend them!!

If you have any questions about them feel free to private message me. I also have many videos of mine on my youtube page. Here is him eating a raw egg the other month lol. :] They look amazing, are friendly, and all around great pets! Mine loves to sit on the couch with me all the time and always wants to be out. He doesn't run or climb all over the place, skinks are pretty mellow. (also intelligent!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nzM0lyNlI&feature=plcp

Here's one from yesterday of him eating from my hand :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4c0RH0ss7g

got10

Italian wall lizards if you can find one. Usually catch them and let them go after a few days of observation and stuffing them full of roaches and super worms. Then I put them just where I found them

tommylee22

I say, ask yourself ("how many lizards do I want to care for?") If you can read and are web savvy you can figure out the care of a animal within just a few weeks of research. I've only had Iguanas and leopard geckos in my past but that was back when I was a teen. I do still have a leopard Gecko along with my new Tegu but that’s due to my 6yr old wanting the gecko. If it was up to me I would only have the Tegu.

I guess what I'm getting at is that with no experience, the more animals you're caring for the less focus on the one and all its needs you will have time for. If you're only planning to keep one reptile what will you do with your "training/gaining experiance animal" when you get excited and pull the trigger on a Tegu.
Maybe it's just me I know a lot of guys have a lot of dif. animals but I would get overwhelmed trying to give equal attention to each of them.

So long story short I suggest you stop, research the Tegu (If this is what your heart is set on getting in the end) then truly ask yourself if you are able and willing to put in the time/money and care a Tegu requires with knowing how big they get and how much they eat and that hey they will be around for a while and do you see yourself with him years from now.

good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus