• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Nile?

Ace

Has anyone ever heard of a Red Nile monitor? I was given one by a friend, and it definitely looks like a red-colored nile monitor. Ironically, he was given to me because of his horrible temper and unwillingness to eat. He ate the day I brought him home, and he's sitting on my shoulder right now. He rarely hisses, and never bites.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Haven't heard of or seen one but doesn't mean there isn't one,.. so let's see whatcha got. Unless it's actually a Ackie or something. It's red and a monitor but not a Nile.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have seen some odd colored baby niles, but generally they change to the normal as they get older. I have even heard of a vendor at a reptile show dying a nile to get more money for it, and once the guy that bought it got it home it went in the water and the dye washed off.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
james.w said:
I have seen some odd colored baby niles, but generally they change to the normal as they get older. I have even heard of a vendor at a reptile show dying a nile to get more money for it, and once the guy that bought it got it home it went in the water and the dye washed off.

Wow...some people just take away any doubt that one might have that they just suck at life and being a respectable human. Dying an animal? Really? Jesus...

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Never heard of one, Please pictures? Hope its just not a ackie someone tricked you into thinking was a nile.

james.w said:

Now thats not something you see or hear about today,thats low.

La-Price

Since i guess Ace forgot about this, i have a few photos. There not great, but better than nothing :)

SDC12129.jpg

SDC12125.jpg

SDC12126.jpg

SDC12127.jpg

Sorry their not good quality, he's squirmy sometimes.... usually if i want a picture :p

oh wow those are bad pictures, you can see his coloring somewhat though....

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree, looks like V. Tristis, not a bad pick up though, they are worth about 5 times as much as a Nile.

Tensleep

Yes, agreed. Most certainly Varanus tristis "Freckled Monitor". Nice animal you have acquired. Looks pretty mellow to me. Perhaps the previous owner wasn't as confident when handling or attempting to handle the lizard as you are. Animals pick up on this you know.

La-Price

I was there when the guy told Ace about him, and helped him pick up Set. Apparently he used welding gloves, whereas Ace just walking in my truck with the little guy in his hands XD

Either i or Ace will hopefully have some better pictures, but he's definitely red on his head and body, but it fades to yellow\blackish on the tail

La-Price

Huh, so we looked up pictures of freckled monitors
You guys are correct, he does look like a freckled monitor. Not disappointed at all, though we had hoped to have a 7+ monitor running around XD. Either way Set is still very pretty and mostly tame (Ace got bit trying to hand feed him a wax worm as a treat earlier, Set missed and did not attempt to eat the waxy again :p )

Tensleep

La-Price said:
Huh, so we looked up pictures of freckled monitors
You guys are correct, he does look like a freckled monitor. Not disappointed at all, though we had hoped to have a 7+ monitor running around XD. Either way Set is still very pretty and mostly tame (Ace got bit trying to hand feed him a wax worm as a treat earlier, Set missed and did not attempt to eat the waxy again :p )

LOL. Better than getting bit by a Pit Bull! No bash on Pit Bulls as I have owned three in my life. Greatest dogs ever bred IMO. Would you really want to take care of a 7 foot monitor for more than a decade anyway? You have a beautiful lizard and have much to look forward to.

La-Price

Yea, i bet it'd hurt to get bit by a pitty, at the same time unless they were trained to your not going to get bit :). There just big cuddle monsters with lots of jaw pressure, like savanna monitors :p

Big scary lizards to guard the other big scary lizards of course! :D but no it would have been cool to have a 7+ nile running around. We still love Set the way he is, even though he's not going to grow anymore (?) We saw that they only get like 2ft long? Is that correct? Because he's about 27inchs or so, which is i guess bigger than normal?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like he is about full grown. 19-32 inches is usually their range of length.

La-Price

ok, so a 40gal should be ok for him then? Thats what we went out and got for him since we didnt have an extra tank lying around like we usually do :p. Just wanna make sure that were doing right by him since he's an adult size (he's supposedly 8 months old or so)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would recommend a custom built cage that is 60"x30"x30"-60" Generally you want something that is twice the length long, equal to the length deep, and height is up to you since they aren't specifically arboreal, buy I'm sure they would enjoy the height.

La-Price

he does love climbing, he's become a head lizard. He also likes burrowing, especially in the hood of my jackets and in the couch if someone isnt paying attention xD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214