• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptile Forum Noob

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Hello fellow reptile enthusiasts! My name is Grayson, I've owned reptiles for 20 of my 23 years, and work as the animal curator of a children's museum. This is my first time posting on any sort of forum (reptile-related or otherwise) and I decided that I wanted to get a bit more active in the reptile community and make some new friends. We just added an Argentine black and white tegu to my museum's menagerie, and so far it has proven to be a wonderful lizard. I'm pretty sure it's a male (it looks like it's developing the big jowls and I think I can make out those little button things near the cloaca); it's about two feet long, give or take an inch or so. Does anyone know how much food to give them in a single sitting? I have found many excellent lists of what foods to give them, but nothing on the quantity. All I want is for this little guy to be healthy and happy so if anyone could give a new tegu parent some advice, that'd be great. In addition to the as-yet-unnamed tegu, my museum has a bearded dragon (Jabette), a Chinese water dragon (Gandy, short for Gandalf), a rosy boa (Dolemite), a Sudan plated lizard (Spike), a box turtle (Bernie), two red-earred sliders (Zaratan and Yertle), a Chilean rose hair tarantula (Ozzy), some Madagascar hissing roaches, a banded coral shrimp, various freshwater fish, and a touch tank full of marine invertebrates. My personal zoo includes a mixed-sex pair of Mali uromastyx (Spike and Rex, male and female respectively), a Kenyan sand boa (Magica), a ball python (Mister Slithersworth, Mr. S for short; he's named for Mr. Bigglesworth, the cat from the Austin Powers movies), a 21 year old fire bellied toad (Joe; he was my VERY FIRST pet and has outlived every other animal we've had), and two miniature dachsunds (Vienna and Oscar, both puppies); deceased animal friends include a California kingsnake (Diane; she died of an intestinal carcinoma after 10.5 wonderful years), a pink-toe tarantula (Martina), another fire belled toad (Tony; I got him the same time as Joe but he only lived 19 years), a bearded dragon (Godzilla; she was huge for a female, nearly 20 inches long and 8 inches wide in her prime), a veiled chameleon (Freddie; we got her second-hand form my younger brother's first grade teacher but she was 11 or 12 when she passed), and a chow/German shepard mix who he lost to bone cancer a few weeks ago (Tawny; she was not only our first dog but the only animal in two decades if being a pet parent we've had to put down).

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At this size, I would let it eat as much as it wants until it reaches full size. Then I back off. I keep my tegus a bit on the slender size. For me, it is also a matter of personality. I have a couple of girls that wouldn't necessarily overeat so I let them eat their fill, encourage it even, but I don't feed them every day. Then I have a male that looks like he could easily get obese. So I don't feed him to his fill at each feeding. I sort guide my his appearance. I want him to keep a bit of skin fold in the side. If he's looking chunky, I cut back.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
@laurafl - Thank you so much for the advice!
I gave him free reign with several dozen crickets this afternoon and he devoured the lot. Does this also apply to rodents? From what I've read on various websites, it says to limit the rodent intake to one at a time and then don't feed the next day. The first day I had him, I gave him one fuzzy which he really seemed to enjoy. Since he came with me to the museum the following day, I decided to find out what he might like to eat and offered him a medley of mealworms, a couple of grasshoppers, and a live earthworm. He wasn't interested in any of it and later that day took a huge, smelly dump on the floor of my office (lol). Was this because the fuzzy was a big, heavy meal? Should I give him multiple mice at a time? It says they are very fatty and that tegus can't process high quantities of fur at a time. I would rather err on the side of caution and give him one than overfeed him and make him ill.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi :) welcome to the site and congrats on the new tegu.

It's okay to feed tegus after you offer whole prey,.. whether or not and how much they'll eat just depends on how hungry they are after wards. I feed one appropriately sized rat or mouse instead of 2,3 or more smaller ones since they can't digest the fur,. along with some other meat, fruit and veggies.

Depending on what they eat they don't need or have to eat everyday since some meals take longer to digest than others. Like Laura was talking about earlier I also go by the flap of skin on their sides to determine when and how much to feed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980