• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

?'s on black throat monitor lizards

BSM

5 Year Member
Just use dirt/sand mix , its the best thing for them. They will be able to use it to make borrows and impaction shouldn't be a problem if husbandry is correct.
I still think you should be getting a smaller species to fully understand monitors then move up to the big ones later.
Trust me you would not want a bite from a 5+ foot lizard and now for caging where is a 12ft cage going to go when it reaches 5+ feet in the first year and the 12ft cage is just a bare min cage for an adult.
As for humidity the cage read this
The humidity is variable in a proper cage. ItÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ll be dryer (like 30%) by the hot basking areas and should be very high (90%) deep in the moist dirt you provide. You cannot answer that with a single number.
Krusty

I would re think your decision about getting a black throat

Bryan

justinalbino

5 Year Member
yeah i actually got the red x blue tegu the pet store had. but forsure someday ima get me a black throat but not now =] thanks for the info now i'll know how to care for a black throat =]

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
I wanted a BT for the longest time. I almost bought one from PE about four years back. I was in love. That said, I'm very glad I decided to go with an ackie instead. Feeding them is just brutal from what I hear. You're talking a lot of money. I'd say likely at least 20 rodents a week give or take. On top of that, the 12 foot cage is monstrous unless you can keep them outdoors, which I cannot. Also, if they are cared for correctly, a lot of that growing goes on in the first year. That thing will outgrow several cages if you're not ready with the 12 footer from jumpstreet. Finally, the tailwhip from ionides and albigs is legendary. They will put you on your can fast if you aren't careful. I've heard people say it's like getting hit with a club. That's just a lot of lizard to be gambling with considering you never know what kind of personality individuals will develop.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I have a small adult (5 foot) BT here that came into the rescue dehydrated, undernourished, and blind. He has recovered from his health issues and is doing well, but even with his blindness I am careful when maintaining this lizard. He still has an awesome feeding response so his other senses are working very well and he is quite accurate with both his mouth and his tail. He is kept on a substrate of dirt mixed with cypress mulch and is fed in his enclosure. I've never had a problem with him ingesting substrate since he is fed with tongs and his food never hits the ground!!
blackt3.jpg

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
The Black throats are very cool lizards but as stated you need lots of food and room for them. I like the big lizards and snakes too. But I have plenty of room for them and food. Since I raise rats and also own chicken houses. I have an unlimited supply of feeders for my reptiles. Things like these are things that need to be considered when keeping the big reptiles. Can I feed it, house it and be able to deal with the problems that go along with them. If you have a problem with just one of these things. It's best to move on to something smaller. Now a days the smaller stuff is the better buy. They sell more readily and for more money than the bigger monitors do. So if your wanting to breed too. you have added perks to keeping the smaller ones. You really have to want a big monitor to justify buying one. Cause 9 times out of ten. If you buy a baby BT it will bring less as it grows. So the resale isn't going to be good. BT keeping is a passion in itself. Not to be taken lightly .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus