• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sand substrate

dicy

5 Year Member
ive used sand and sand mixed whit loam for years and never had problems that where coneckted to the sand i think impacktion risk is minimal to if the animals r healthy i mean in the wild they live on sand/dirt ore whutever to

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Sirhc401 said:
I do use a food dish. But they like to kick it around and get messy dropping food on the floor and then eat it off the floor

What type of dish do you use? They make some that are harder to tip over than others. I had the same problem with my box turtle doing that.

Sirhc401

Actually let me refrase. It's not the dish they tip over it is the food they kick around. I use a hard little dish you can buy at a dollar store. They are effective but they will kick greens out of the dish

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
dicy said:
ive used sand and sand mixed whit loam for years and never had problems that where coneckted to the sand i think impacktion risk is minimal to if the animals r healthy i mean in the wild they live on sand/dirt ore whutever to

That is one of the most common mistakes made, people think that beardies spend there life on sand because of where they are from. In the wild the terrain differs greatly with these guys,a wild beardie may live on sand, rocks, hard-packed dirt, and what ever else happens to be in the area. Stop comparing this too the wild,its captivity, and in the wild these guys average life span is about 3yrs.

I suggest you give the article i posted above a read.
http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

dicy

5 Year Member
whell u could use a big tile/flagstone under the food dish and feed them on that so u create a 50% hard surface /50% sand/dirt surface its always nicer looking than a carpet thingy plus when u have no food in there u can create a nice basking spot there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus