• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

settling in and feeding?

Honda

5 Year Member
So i got a new tegu and if i need to let him settle in and get used to his surroundings without messing with him, so i dont stress him out, how should i go about feeding him in a food bin? i have actually had him for a couple days and the first day i fed him in the bin and he ate a lot then basked all day then the next day i put him in and he ate a couple crickets then wanted to get out then he basked for a while and all day today he stayed under his substrate and hasnt come out so im assuming he is frightened.. but i dont want to keep stressing him out what do i doooo?

jntann

5 Year Member
sit right next to the cage for a while every chance you get don't reach in or move fast to scare him. then after a while put your hand in the cage and just stay still and let it come to you to check out your hand after a while it will know you are not a threat. mine runs from everybody but me I can go in the cage and she does what she would normally would be doing.. good luck

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Yeah your just gonna have to feel him out and see how hes acting, its hard to tell you something to do when every animals different. Just have to take it slow and what I did was go ahead and feed mine inside his cage just so he would eat until it was big enough to come out on its own, then I started feeding it outside the cage and make it come and get its own food.

I also got mine when it was a few months old already and not as just a newly hatched lizard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029