• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sexing ball pythons

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i have been looking up how to do this for a while now. i dont like probing since it can hurt them but i will if i cant seem to pop them.any one have any advice on how to do this?

Sirhc401

Popping can hurt them if you are not careful. And it is something you can only do with hatchling and young juvi snakes. Older snakes have more muscle control making them impossible to pop unless they let you. Since this is kind of hard to describe I would much rather show you how it is done then then tell you since I don't want to risk misinterpretation and possible harm of your snake. However, I have not seen any professional videos of this being done, try YouTube. Do not follow any of their advice without any credibility. My advice to you. Unless someone shows you how to do it. DO NOT attempt it. You can seriously hurt your snake if you apply the wrong pressure. Probing them is much safer. I learned how to pop a snake from a breeder. Only reason why I feel comfortable doing it.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Ball pythons display sexual dimorphism. Males are more gracile and typically average 3.5 to 4 feet whereas the females are much thicker and can exceed 4.5 feet in length. Males also usually have larger spurs, but this is not always the case.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Popping is not something i would recommend to someone who has never done it before to try on there own, not even watching youtube vids or searching pics will really help much or show you. Its all a matter of finding the right position and applying just the right amount of pressure, this needs to be demonstrated to you in person. A lot of people try to do this on there own and end up either hurting the snake or sexing it incorrectly.

Check your area for local breeders or reptile specialty store (who knows what they are doing) ,and see if one of them could show you exactly how its done. And even show you how to properly probe.

The herp vet is another good way to be 100% sure of the sex, of course with a experienced herp vet not one who mainly does cats and dogs.

Here is so you could get an good idea of what it looks like and skill it takes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMqN402TiVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8y681OVOyc

frost

1,000+ Post Club
yeah thats what i was afraid of, if i can probe it easier without injury i will go that rout. i dont have anyone around here that i know of that can show me =/ i have been looking at youtube videos like crazy trying to see if i can do it. im planning on breeding my snakes but i want to see what sex they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980