• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sick Caiman Lizard

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's a quick update, I wanted to post this morning but I wanted to check with the vet to make sure what I saw was in fact improvement and not confusing indication that things might be worse.

Bacardi to seems to be getting better! His head tilt is still there but not 90 degrees more like 70 or 60. And is coordination reminds me of toddler. To anyone else he may not look like he is doing better but to me I can already see a world of difference.

Before he would lay there and only moved when provoked or handle, even then it was guarded movements. He would only right himself when he seemed to be in very awkward positions. This morning however I opened the cage door and he lifted his head (still at an angle mind you) and attempted to walk to the front of the cage. I was blown away just yesterday evening was the first time I saw him start moving on his own and even then it was just turning around. He made it halfway to the front, which does not sound far but that was a major mild stone. I got him out the rest of the way.

Now when I asked the vet tech how to give his injections she said in the front leg under the scales and sub-q. Now I use to be a vet tech and still do some animal medicine so that was not what I meant. I rephrased it to say how should I restrain him for the injections because I will be doing these myself. I appreciated the honest response of, don’t worry for the first few he will be like this it’s going to take awhile before the meds really help, by that point you should be good at it. We Bacardi doesn’t know that and now my arms are all cut up from his razor claws because I did not want to trim them on Tuesday when he was sick.

After the battle of the injection I set him on the couch to get a progress vid. They are hard to take but we do this at the zoo. It’s easy to think an animal is getting better or at the least not getting worse. However by comparing video it’s very easy to see changes in behavior and health that our emotions often block out. He moved around for a bit, but once the camera was off and I sat down on the couch is when I had the camera on. Bacardi was a good 3 feet from me on the other side of the couch, he circled around and pushed his nose between my lower back and the couch back. I chuckled thinking well this is improvement. Tears rolled down my face when he started to climb up my back, I helped a little just by putting my hand against his back to give him something to push up against. He made it up to the love handles (hey I’ll admit I an’t so little around the middle) and up into my lap. He let out a deep breath and went to sleep. Now I am not kidding myself he did this because the couch is cool and my lap is warm, I know that, I was crying because he was climbing (that and it felt like needles in my side).

Putting him back in his cage was hard, both emotionally and physically. He whipped and huffed and once in he tried to get back out. That spunk and attitude I know so well are still coming through loud and clear. He sure is fighting this and I will make to help him as much as possible.

There is another herp vet near my mom’s place that I am tempting to get a second option from but right now may hold off due to the progress that Bacardi is making.

got10

Hows my boy doing? I hope he gets well very soon so you can breath again. I hate when kids and animals get sick

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sadly he did not eat today, well he tried but the head till is really affecting his basic ability to do anything. The vet said we will give him another week or so before tube feeding, the hope is that he either learns how to eat this way or the head uncurls enough that he can eat normally. He has been much more active than before.

I have been doing my own research online and there is not a lot on head tilts in reptiles everything I find is either young animals growing to fast and the shed is too tight, an ear infection with a bulge under the ear, head trauma or vit A difficiancy. None of these match up with what Bacardi has. Evening looking up brain infections in reptiles does not relate to what Bacardi is displaying. However crossing into mammals I get more answers, especially in rabbits. Head tilt in rabbits is well documented and has many different causes and treatments. Now I know its a leap from reptile to mammal but both have a vestibular system and by looking up rabbit symptoms and comparing them up to Bacardi it seems almost a perfect fit. Rabbits often with vestibular infections or issues present much different then those with brain issues. Classic symptoms are acute serve ataxia (mobility issues), spontaneous involuntary eye movements, circling and ability to re orientate ones self. So there is a chance now that it is a vestibular infection and that just with a few weeks of treatment he could get better.

When I talked to the vet he did say that is unusual for an animal with a brain infection to show any improvement without steroids which helps reduce swelling, Bacardi has only been on antibiotics which are less likely to help since they do not cross the blood brain barrier.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cats are also well known to have vestibular issues, but not sure if that helps you any. But vestibular head tilts are usually sideways and not backwards.

yulyani

laurarfl said:
Cats are also well known to have vestibular issues, but not sure if that helps you any. But vestibular head tilts are usually sideways and not backwards.

Chelvis I was not updated since I don't have cable internet at home,..but I am thinking of you and bacardi a lot during weekend....

I think you should get the 2 nd opinion immediately,...or bring him to a very qualified herp vet,....I understand at your contry you have Dr Mader isn't he....? Or the big teaching hospitals....

I also think Bacardi needs the advanced examination,....probably the culture and examination of bacteria, x ray etc...but I am not sure how to get the samples from the inner ear. When my 10 years very small skink sick about 2,5 years ago, he had the symptoms looked like the respiratory infections... i request the vets to get the complete examination including the culture sample from the throat and send it to the lab,...just to rule out about the possibility of infection,...and we find out it not caused by the infection,...but because of the enlargement of the heart because of aging (signs by x ray),....i still have him with me now....

Sick reptiles i think they need time to eat again.....Could you ask the vet to give Bacardi food using the dog/cat IV catheter,...so you don't have to open his mouth.....it will reduce stress also plus you can do it at home....this catheter is very thin so we can just put inside the lips without mouth opening....may be you can get critical care formula and the vitamins....

I do hope what he has now is not tumour or brain involvement...
I am sorry if i say too many...I hope you could take it in good way......i cross my fingers for bacardi and please keep update....

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It seems like one step forward and two steps back. Bacardi has been having issues with drinking and with the changes in the cage its been hard to keep up the humidity in the cage without the large pool. That being said he seems to be dehydrated and unwilling to do anything today. I am calling the vet up tomorrow (I hate the fact that no vets work on Sundays!) to see if they would be willing to either give sub q fluids or send me home with some. I have tried soaking him in a 1:1 pedidalyte solution, dropping water on his nose and right into his mouth. He just won't drink enough at once to help make up for the fluids he has lost. I am also hoping that I can get some oxbo critical care to help keep his energy up.

yulyani

chelvis said:
It seems like one step forward and two steps back. Bacardi has been having issues with drinking and with the changes in the cage its been hard to keep up the humidity in the cage without the large pool. That being said he seems to be dehydrated and unwilling to do anything today. I am calling the vet up tomorrow (I hate the fact that no vets work on Sundays!) to see if they would be willing to either give sub q fluids or send me home with some. I have tried soaking him in a 1:1 pedidalyte solution, dropping water on his nose and right into his mouth. He just won't drink enough at once to help make up for the fluids he has lost. I am also hoping that I can get some oxbo critical care to help keep his energy up.

I really hope the vet will help him today....i think you have done your best to prevent dehydration,...my heart goes for you both... and I really hope he is getting better soon. My old small skink is also not very well now, yesterday I had a vet came to check all of my lizards and she found out this little guy is not in good shape...I will see in case there is possibility I still can make him better ( he has been ill for 3 years because of the weak heart and aging...)...Let's do our best together...........

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very emotional day today. I thought this was going to be my last post as Bacardi went into spasms early this morning. I had spent the night at my moms house and brought Bacardi with me to keep an eye on with him, with the goal in the morning to go to my old vet clinic and get some fluids to help with dehydration.

Upon his spasms ending his mouth was open and he was gasping for air. I wrapped him in a towel and loaded him in the car with the thought that this was going to be his last trip. I went to a different exotic vet that was closer to my mom's house, again I thought my only option was to put him down. I run up to the door right when it opened and placed the towel on the reception desk only to have no words only tears come out. The lady was super nice and took Bacardi into the back. They got him set up in a warm cage, in the mean time I told the nurse what had been happening over the last week and I had brought the last vets report with me.

Because I was a walk in I had to wait but even then it was only about ten minutes before I was in a room talking to the vet. I was surprised to hear they had drawn blood from him and would be running it shortly. He also said that he thought Bacardi still had some fight left in him. I waited in the front room until the blood results came back. First thing was he was very dehydrated, but it also showed a high sodium count and glucose count which was very important when picking what fluids to give him. The vet said that the fluids would take awhile to give and that it would be best for me to head home, I agreed and they are going to monitor him overnight as well.

I got a call just a few minutes ago saying that they had given him the fluids and re done the blood work. The white blood count was lower then thought but the Bactria found indicated another antibiotic should be prescribed as well. They are going to start him on that tonight as well as keep up with the one is already on. He said if no improvement then baytril might be prescribed at the end of a month. Bacardi did have another spasm at the vet office and the vet says they are no seizures which is what I thought was going on.

This vet thinks that he could pull through this with some TLC. I asked about home care and what will happen tomorrow when I picked him up, he said lets take it one day at a time and they do offer longer term patient care. Its a hard time a work now and I have been having a hard time taking care of him in this state so I might look into the long term care as well.

So in short, I am holding my breath that this long shot might work and I might get my buddy back.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bacardi sure is one helluva looker. Sorry to hear the bad news so late into the thread. Hope it all works out bro and he pulls through. Keep us posted.

yulyani

Chelvis you have done your best and I am sure bacardi knows about that....it's important you are still with him from now to monitor about the condition hours per hours....and update your vet...

I think bout bacardi a lot and I hope there is still changing of condition during this time....if I am near surely I will look you up.....

HeatherN

I've been keeping bacardi in my thoughts, but seems like he'll be getting even more tonight. my dog is having an emergency too, so i can relate with the anxiety. hang in there! that lizard sounds like he's got a stubbornness to go on that most humans lack, lets hope those fluids and antibiotics take.

RobK.

chelvis said:
its been hard to keep up the humidity in the cage without the large pool. That being said he seems to be dehydrated and unwilling to do anything today.

can you leave the large pool but , cover it with mess or screen ?? then still have a small shallow pool so he does not drown ?? or can you put a ultrasonic humidifier in his cage some how ?

i am glad he is in you care and not a vet . even the best vets will not have the time to care for you guy like you will .

worst thing i did with Roni was let the vet keep him for three weeks , She was supposable the best in N.Utah ??? . Roni was dehydrated and cold when i picked him up . she told me to feed him every other day , lower his temps and leave him alone for three months .WHAT !!! I did just the opposite and he recovered fast . He had another bout and i did the same thing and he recovered with in days . More sunlight , more heat , more fresh air . I then made him a bigger and better cage that i hope stops what ever caused my Rhino's heath issues . I sure hope it helps my Rhino . as i have over 800.00 in his new cage . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NO vet will put in the time or give him the love like you will . they just can't and don't have a connection to him like you do . Good luck with him !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980