• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Skinny Red Tegu

SterlingAce

Hi I recently got a red tegu male,around 80cm but he is very skinny. What foods are good to help him pick up weight quickly without compromising his health?

Thanks

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rats, what is your setup like. Size, temps, humidity, substrate, uvb??

SterlingAce

At the moment he is with my 2 other red females indoors in a 3m fish tank because it's still a bit cold outside. They are slowly busy coming out of hibernation now.
There is 10.0 uvb light in it and a 250w spot light on the hot side.
Struggling a bit to get the humidity up it's at around 60%,temperature on the hot side under the light is 36c and on the cool side it's 26c.
Substrate is a mix of fine gravel and coco peat about 30cm deep. In their hide box are dry leaves and hay.
All of them are fed separately outside the cage so I can see how much they eat.
Before I bought him the previous owner took him to the vet who gave him a parasite flush and a clean bill of health. I got him about 3 weeks later and about 2 weeks after that the tegus started eating less and less to go into hibernation.

Sorry I'm not very good with conversions of length and temperature

Thanks

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats on the new tegu.
What's the rush, as long as he's healthy feed him the same thing you feed your other tegus and he'll gain weight in due time.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I gotcha, it's just a red flag for me when I see threads about people's tegus not growing fast or quick enough for them. Quick growth isn't always a good thing especially with out proper nutrition and husbandry. Just get him on a varied diet and he'll gain weight. Good healthy weight, bone and muscle mass not just fat.

SterlingAce

Thanks again. I don't want to compromise his health in any way. Should I feed him as much as he will eat or small portions more often?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
YW,..for any tegu what and how much they eat can determine how often and how much to feed them. Whole prey are heavier meals and take longer to digest. So they're not as hungry as often as they would be with meaty meals that are easier. He's a big boy so he can go either way, small meals more often or one large meal every few days or so. In time he'll let you know what works best.

During this time of year a lot of tegus start to slow down even if they don't hibernate, when they do fewer meals are required.

SterlingAce

I'm from South Africa and summer is starting now and they are slowly beginning to wake up. I'm going to wait until they are properly awake before I start feeding them.
I will try different portions and see what works best :)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Okay,.. :) then get ready for their activity and appetite to pick up. For future reference it helps to have your location posted in your profile so that it shows in the stats in the upper right corner of your post. That way people know where you are and can better assist with information that may be a little different for you.

Also just in case there's someone near by who can help and reccomend some people, places or items as well that we may not have or even know about here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu