• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Skittish hatchling taming?

Moondust

Dragonfly used to be good when she was first coming out of hibernation but now that shes fully awake, she's extremely skittish.

About 3 weeks ago she came out of hibernation fully. I would walk into the room and she would dart across her tank and into her underground hide that I made. I dont ever get her out of her hide, and I put a shirt with my scent on it. I usually walk really slow around the cage, put my hand in there and just set it there every chance I get. About a week after doing this she was really good. I could walk into the room and she wouldnt dart across her cage anymore and I could open the top and she'd be a little wary but fine with it.

Now, the past three days it seemed she reverted back a bit and will dart across the cage into her hide. Once she's on her basking platform she's fine and lets me open the cage, warily watches me, but lets me pick her up. She's good out of the cage, though very wary.

I notice she is about to shed, could that be why she suddenly went back to being so skittish? And is their any other taming tricks I could use? How long did it take for your hatchlings to stop being so skittish?

Thanks!!

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It just takes time,.. keep up with what you're doing. There will be some good and not so great days but she'll come around again. Has she started getting restless yet to where she spends more time out exploring or trying to get out of her cage? If so and you haven't already you can use that time for bonding as well when possible. Since they're already a little wired, wanting to explore and check out new things. During those times Tricky was more willing to approach me and let me hold him or what ever.

I do the same with Korben and he's coming around.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
You're in the same boat as everybody else that has a skittish tegu. Just search the threads for the tons of advice that has been given out on the subject and you'll be straight. With proper handling and consistency, you and your tegu will be fine (could be only a matter of a couple weeks if you're diligent).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan