• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

some help please

Ratchet

5 Year Member
i have a few questions about my tegu that no one has really ben able to answer...he's 5-6 months old fyi...the pet store owner who sol me this tegu told me to poun dit with crix until it can eat pinkies...it eats fuzzy now...and he told me i can drop the crix all together and just feed it fuzzies...but arent mice high in fat?...the guy is also my vet (nice combo) but i'm not sure if its all that healthy for it to eat fuzzies everyday...i've been fedding a mixture of crix,superworms,mealworms, goldfish(on occasion), turkey, hardboiled eggs, and mice...i was wondering what am i suppose to feed him and how much?? and how am i suppose to get him some exercise?? he has a 55g long tank but i don know if i can take him outside or not...the yard has pesticides on it and i dont want him getting sick from it...

k412

5 Year Member
I'm new to tegus so I'm not sure how much help I may be able to offer.
A varied diet is always good.
I would follow the care sheet here as far as that goes.
I feed mine as much as he will eat in one sitting, I'm still working on figuring out how much that is exactly.
I have seen lots of pictures of them outside, I am only guessing that if you don't use pesticides on your property it should be okay. Maybe give him a bath after he goes out?
I'm sure the more experienced keepers will respond soon.

Suzanne

5 Year Member
It's not legal to own tegus where I live so I don't take my tegus outside I just let them roam around the house. I usually let them go for a swim it the tub first so they hopefully poop there and not on my rug, lol

Also there is a very good care sheet on this site if you haven't already seen it.

Ratchet

5 Year Member
i've read it a few times...i never knew some states made it illegal to own them...thats not cool

Suzanne

5 Year Member
I live in Ottawa Canada. It's illegal to own them within city limits but I'm pretty sure this bylaw does not apply to all of Ontario. In any case I don't get it. I understand why some other species of animals are not permitted but I really don't get it when it comes to tegus.

OTTO

5 Year Member
I am fron Puerto Rico an any reptile is legal here...the diet is the same like human.U cant eat the same meal every day, becaus you, like it need proteins,vitamins an calsium.If you dont variated the food it is prone to get sick

I hop this can help you...and sorry for the bad words writing...I'm learning english

jmiles50

5 Year Member
STOP GOING TO THAT VET!!! He obviously has NO idea what he's talking about!!!! Read all the info you can here on this site, and I'm sure you will do fine:)

Ratchet

5 Year Member
i still need help with getting him exercise...i tried to take him outside today..and when i went to pick him up he made a mad dash for a tree, then when i picked him up he started gaping and whipping around...

k412

5 Year Member
Maybe get him accustomed to being on a leash?
That way he won't get away from you outside that way.
Just an idea.

31drew31

5 Year Member
I just let mine run around the house... and if not at least a spare room or somthing like that. Also i have seen people who feed on tongs sort of 'tease' there monitors by making there monitor chase the mouse. You could try that if not other means of getting him excercise. Some may correct me if this is bad keeping, but just repeating what Ive seen.

Ratchet

5 Year Member
well i visited the reptile store i bought mine from and the red tegu there was looking amazing...he waws chasing down crickets like he hadnt eaten in days...so i tried it today and it worked pretty nicely i dropped a few in there and he started running around his cage chasing them...i cant let him run around the house its a wreck i would lose him in a matter of seconds there is only one place i would let him run around in but there is a hole in the wall not even an inch off the ground and i know for a fact thats the first place he would go...im' stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029