• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Somethings Wrong! HELP!!

bond219

5 Year Member
Ruby just came out of hyber. She seemed fine the first few days now she has developed what looks like parkinsons when she tries to eat or walk. Is it a lack of calcium cause she has eaten mice already. I'm confused should I bring her to the vet?

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
Hi bond,

A little more info might be useful in trying to help you out. How old is Ruby and was she doing this before she went into burmation? Also what exactly is she doing when trying to eat or walk?

bond219

5 Year Member
Ruby is a year old this month, no she wasnt doing this before its brand new today, and literally if you have ever seen someone with parkinsons this is what she looks like when she tries to walk she sways and has trouble even lifting her belly up to move, and when she tries to eat she swings her head like shes stevie wonder and the food comes out of her mouth.

jmwgibson56

5 Year Member
post up the diet ur feeding her. Do you give her calcium supplementation on a daily basis? what brand of supplement is it? how close is your UV light? I noticed my Reptar had a twitch one day and it scared the crap out of me with the whole frequent occurrence of MBD in reptiles. I was reassured that my daily diet with a liberal dusting of calcium supplement (everyday!) and an adequate amount of UV light (vitamin D3 is used to absorb calcium) would ensure a healthy body and bone structure for Reptar. I was told that since it was right after his brumation period, it shouldn't be a major concern. The reason being so is that he hasn't had a meal in 5 months since he's been under. Now that he's awake and starting to eat, as long as i provide him with the proper calcium supplements and an proper amount of UV, all the kinks will work themselves out. Make sure she is on a good diet with a proper 2:1 calcium to phosphorous ratio, and dont just rely on mice for the calcium. The animals will retain as much calcium as they can and pass through whatever excess there may be, so dust away. make sure the supplements are free of D3, because there is such a thing as vitamin D3 overdose and thats no fun for you or your gu. do some research on MBD, because your the only one that knows her feeding schedule better than anyone. And just to be on the safe side take her to a vet to get an xray so you can get a professional opinion on her bone density. and with all that saying so, be sure to do your own research on MBD. I am by no means a professional on this, so don't quote me. This is just an understanding, and i would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on the matter. we're all here to help eachother and our tegus out. i wish you luck my friend!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu