• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Split personaltiy / evil twin

Dana C

I wrote a couple of times about the break throughs I had with him or her. Yesterday he/she had a good bath, explored the bathroom, crawled all over me and ate a lot. She was handleable but still fiesty. Today, she came out got well heated and since I want to handle her daily, I tried to pick her up and she went crazy. I put her back into her cage so as to not have it be a bad experience for her. Just a little while ago I was changing her water and I saw her stick her nose out of the substrate under her hide. I stroked it a bit and she licked a bit. I went on about my business in her cage and she came out. She made her usual circut a couple of times and layed down under the basking lamp close to my hand. I stroked her cheeks and she closed her eyes an appeared to enjoy it. I moved my hand away but still had it laying on the substrate. She moved up to my hand and put her nose on my finger. After a minute or so she started nuzzeling in my hand and sniffing. Then much to my surprise, she bit me. It wasn't like a lunge or an attack and it didn't break the skin. I gave her a stern NO and removed my hand. I put my hand back in and stroked her cheeks again and she was fine.

Has anyone else had a simular experience?

Dana C

Bubblz Calhoun said:
Lol,.. umh yeah this brings back memories of Tricky.

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=2370&pid=57114#pid57114

I am believe that much of this is her age, well under a year. I think she will be a great Tegu eventually and I have the patience to wait it out.
Bambi will NOT win this one..LOL

Aardbark

5 Year Member
That sounds pretty normal to me. My tegu has never bit me, or shown much hostility at all. But one day when I was resting my hand in her cage, she slowly came up to my hand, nuzzled it, and then took a little nibble. It wasnt an attack or anything, more like, seeing if I tasted good. It didnt cut me or hurt at all.

Im sure she was like, "Oh a big meaty thing, I wonder if its any good."

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seems pretty normal, may be in that stage of tegu puberty. It'll pass given time.

Dana C

TeguBuzz said:
Seems pretty normal, may be in that stage of tegu puberty. It'll pass given time.

Thanks everyone.
Dana C said:
TeguBuzz said:

Thanks everyone.

You may be right about the puberty thing. He has taken to wearing really baggy jeans and long t-shirts. I hope he doesn't get into rap. LOL

Dana C

Here is a short update. Since that day she has been fine. Today I took her out and she was calm, cool and collected. She took her bath and wandered around the bathroom. She had a bite of breakfast came over to say hello as I was sitting on floor as usual. She made a quick circut of the bathroom again and for the next half hour, stayed within reach, nugged up against my thigh or climbing on me. She never got more than a few inches away. She loves her jowls rubbed softly as well as her under chin. When I scratch her back she moves up on all fours but not like he is going to run but more to push herself up to my hand.

I am sure that people that haven't experience Tegus, can't conceive of how a reptile would enjoy human companionship. Even my brother who watched me reach in to her enclosure and rub her cheeks until she closed her eyes and came back to my hand when I moved it away was amazed.

Dana C

I have immense interest in my baby's growing curiosity and how she is different from day to day.
Today for example was, "I am toucher and you are the touchee" day.

She was a little wiggley on the way to her bath and it didn't take long for her to climb out using my arm as a ladder to get to the floor. After taking some food, not alot, she intensly explored the bathroom and this time looked up alot at the towels, toilet paper etc. She seemed facinated by it all like never before. However she really wasn't into being stroked or touched much at all.

Soon however she fell into a "I am the toucher today" mode. She climbed all over me, into my robe and up my pajama legs. She climbed over my hands, licked my head, hands, neck and head. She would not however let me stroke her. It had to be her call and in her time.
She eventually got a little cool and went behind me, between my back and the tub. I slowly slid my hands behind my back and she nuzzled my hands. I could feel her head and stroked under her chin and she eventually moved up so I could stroke her belly. Finally she plopped down on my palm and was at rest for the longest time. I sat perfectly still while she and I enjoyed the time together.

I still can't believe how this girl, much less any reptile can be so wanting human, (my) touch. Of course she is a little different from day to day but this really feels like something special.

I know many of you have experienced this but I am amazed. To have a creature like this know me and want my attention is beyond description.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu