• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Strange walk/tail position

thestem07

5 Year Member
So my Argentine B&W, who is around 27-30 inches long, has not really been hibernating but has slowed down a bit. Yesterday he didnt eat anything which I am ok with cause he has been doing that the past few months, not eating everyday and slowing down like I said. Today he did eat two rat pups and some ground turkey much like he does almost every Monday, now worries. However after he had already went to bed and his light had been off for about an hour, he got up and started moving around. This is unusual for him, he normally sleeps the entire night without waking up. So when I heard him moving around I went in and checked on him. He looked fine and all but was walking around with his tail held up as high as he could get it and still be able to walk around.
My first thought was he is going to the bathroom but he never raises it that high and tries to walk around. He walked around his enclosure like this for about 10 min bumping the top of his tail on anything he could and just generally seeming uncomfortable. After the 10 min or so he went back into his usual hide and went to sleep.

What could cause this unusual walk/behavior?
He just finished a shed, could it just be a lingering shed on his tail he is trying to get off or could he be impacted?

Thanks once again for everyones help and support.

Meg90

5 Year Member
Sounds like he was trying to go to the bathroom, and couldn't. Could he have eaten some substrate and become impacted?

thestem07

5 Year Member
That was my first thought, so I soaked him for like 30 min and he only went a little bit.
I did find some poo in his water dish today, so maybe he was impacted and passed it by himself.
I couldn't tell if a piece of substrate was in it or not as his entire water dish was full of substrate.

I am going to soak him everyday for the next few days and see if that helps. He also has a bit of lingering shed on his toes so soaking should help that as well.

Is there any other way to allow the passage of the impaction if that is what is wrong?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu