• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Strax the second chance tegu

Vastra

I wish....lol if anything he takes extra naps but really he is still very active. As far as the escape goes, we tried to plan for that eventuality by tegu proofing as much of the room as we could and keeping the door closed: however, even with that being done, I was a wreck trying to find him. that sneaky little jerk lol. Stay tuned, here shortly I will be posting Christmas pics. (yes I am THAT kind of reptile owner lol)

Vastra

straxchristmas.jpg
straxchristmas2.jpg
beardiechristmas.jpg
Rosechristmas.jpg

Vastra

Thanks :) I have a bunch more, but it would take a ridiculously long time to upload them all (I took over 200 pictures) Strax was completely oblivious and didn't care at all what was going on. He fell asleep in the middle of the shoot. It was adorable. It was a really fun afternoon.

Vastra

So it has been a while since I have been able to post anything on here. Sadly the last couple weeks have been ridiculously hectic. I haven't had as much time to work with Strax and I fear it has set us back a ways with his trust of us. He is more interested in hiding than exploring when we get him out. I did get my first bite the other day. It was food response and not aggression though. I can still pet him and handle him just fine, but man, he got my finger good. He even cracked my nail. I know he needs more attention but the holidays were a mess here and with a possible move in our future, I am hoping it won't be too much to get him back to where he was. He is a sweet and smart boy. Life just has a way of throwing us curve balls now and then.

Vastra

Well, I know it has been a long time since I have posted anything. Life has a crazy way of making you busy. Some good news, it has been a full years with Strax. He is currently going through puberty and is a jerk right now, but he should be coming out of it soon. He is doing well health-wise and is enjoying his 8'x4' home. Here are some pictures from when we brought him home and currently. I love my chubby buddy even if he is a bit mean right now. I am not giving up on him just yet. He was tame and sweet before becoming a hormonal teenager, I am pretty sure he will be again. But here is our first year with Strax the second chance tegu.

Attachments

• 2015-09-14 13.00.50.jpg
    2015-09-14 13.00.50.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 2016-05-13 20.09.59.jpg
    2016-05-13 20.09.59.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 2016-05-13 08.50.21.jpg
    2016-05-13 08.50.21.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, I know it has been a long time since I have posted anything. Life has a crazy way of making you busy. Some good news, it has been a full years with Strax. He is currently going through puberty and is a jerk right now, but he should be coming out of it soon. He is doing well health-wise and is enjoying his 8'x4' home. Here are some pictures from when we brought him home and currently. I love my chubby buddy even if he is a bit mean right now. I am not giving up on him just yet. He was tame and sweet before becoming a hormonal teenager, I am pretty sure he will be again. But here is our first year with Strax the second chance tegu.
He's beautiful and looks so content in the bottom pic. Good job with him.

Vastra

Thank you so much :D I hope he gets out of his grumpy puberty stage soon, but he is loved none the less. I adore my boy.

Vastra

It has been another long stretch since I have posted any updates about Strax. Strax became hyper aggressive. Even to the point you couldn't clesn his cage, change his water, change his lightbulbs, nothing. He would charge at you and strike even if you were working in the complete opposite side of the cage. He got to be too much to handle and in fear for his health I called for help. My friend Colin keeps and breeds tegus and said he would tale him for a while. After two weeks with an experienced handler, he was completely different. Now I can handle him, clean his cage, let him get some free roam time (within limitations) He has comepletely turned around. He still isnt cuddly, and he may never be, but we are content with our wprking relationship. While he was with Colin, I redid his enclosure. He is in a custom built 8x4 with natural rock to climb on, an enormous cork piece, his own humidifier, the works. He has a 30 degree variant in the cage and a soaking tub at the cool end. His favorite thing in the world is a cheap vat bed from petco. He pushes it under his light to get warm then sleeps under it at night. He is happy as can be and not to mention MUCH better to be around. He is my boy and I love him dearly. I am so glad that he has come back around. He is a good boy, just.....misunderstood lol.
20170503_100627.jpg
20170430_084932.jpg
20170426_161812.jpg
20170503_100627.jpg
20170430_084932.jpg
20170426_161812.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It has been another long stretch since I have posted any updates about Strax. Strax became hyper aggressive. Even to the point you couldn't clesn his cage, change his water, change his lightbulbs, nothing. He would charge at you and strike even if you were working in the complete opposite side of the cage. He got to be too much to handle and in fear for his health I called for help. My friend Colin keeps and breeds tegus and said he would tale him for a while. After two weeks with an experienced handler, he was completely different. Now I can handle him, clean his cage, let him get some free roam time (within limitations) He has comepletely turned around. He still isnt cuddly, and he may never be, but we are content with our wprking relationship. While he was with Colin, I redid his enclosure. He is in a custom built 8x4 with natural rock to climb on, an enormous cork piece, his own humidifier, the works. He has a 30 degree variant in the cage and a soaking tub at the cool end. His favorite thing in the world is a cheap vat bed from petco. He pushes it under his light to get warm then sleeps under it at night. He is happy as can be and not to mention MUCH better to be around. He is my boy and I love him dearly. I am so glad that he has come back around. He is a good boy, just.....misunderstood lol. View attachment 11963 View attachment 11964 View attachment 11965 View attachment 11963 View attachment 11964 View attachment 11965
Your care's been great. It shows. Glad he's come around. Did your friend share any suggestions in helping Strax with taming?

Vastra

Your care's been great. It shows. Glad he's come around. Did your friend share any suggestions in helping Strax with taming?
Thank you. We have had a long, bumpy twp years but has been worth every second. As far as taming goes, we literally had to "love him into submission" it was rough at first and he still puts up a fight some days. Essentially, Strax was just being a jerk to be a jerk. What we had to do was catch him, let him tire himself out trying to get away (safely thougg so he wouldn't hurt himself and close to the ground so he wouldn't fall) once he was tired and we could handle him easily, give him a few good pats and put him away when he was calm. He came to learn that of he is calm and doesn't fight we both get what we want. I get cuddles, then he gets to go back in his cage or get free roam time. He still gets a little huffy with me some days but its a process.

Attachments

• 20170429_081718.jpg
    20170429_081718.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 13

RomanPort

I'm very happy to see that he's doing so well! I'm so glad that you've been able to give him a second chance like this. It really makes me happy, and I love the pictures. How is he doing now? Has he calmed down at all?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980