• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

taming my tegu

smange

we have had our tegu now for six weeks and I have not picked it up just keep doing stuff in his tank so he gets used to me, I also put a glove in so he gets used to it for the day i may be able to pick it up. He still hisses at me if I go too close to him, will this ever change he is so skittish still. Anyone got any tips (I also put my T shirt in that he likes to sleep in)

Kimmie

what I did was I let him be in his cage alone for 2weeks where I only did stuff after that I fet him outside his cage and took him out atleast 1hr a day. Even if he hisses at you, you should just ignore it and learn him "this dont make me scared" that is his way to learn "if I do this I get my way" like when a little kid crys when they want something. the first times you sit with him he will try everything to make you let him go like peeing or pooing or not sit still that dont mean you should let him go because then he gets his will and will keep going. You could do the bath trusting if you have a thing big enough that he can swim in then you make a nice hot bath for him and let him swim around and try to support him with your hand it learns him that your hands is not a bad thing and you are not there to hurt him. I did this and it made my Cookie to stop biting and it also make them lose some energy so they are easyer to sit with :)

smange

I have had some progress today, everytime I have been going into his tank I whistle to him and say his name. Well today I left his tank open and he came out but went off hiding when other people came in so I whistled and said his name and he came out of hiding.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try feeding crickets or roaches off of tongs. This will get him to relate you with a good thing and he won't fear you.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Put the crickets or roaches in a bag, and grab one at a time with the tongs. Make sure to dust them with calcium.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu