• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu acting aggresive

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
i was just wondering when i put my tegu outside in a cage why did he get so aggressive? if you know can you please help me out.

thanks

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
ok cause i was reading it had to do with the light he was seeing so i didn't know but then i saw bobby keeps his outside and they're still tame lol

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
ok thanks

so do you think i should just let him walk around my house and stay away from an outdoor cage?

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Well yes it is true he is somewhat scared and also baffled at all the new things outside...hes been confined to his cage inside or around your house and when you bring him outdoors its like a whole new HUGE world and theres so many things around and noises, so yes that would be terrifying for something of their size. The thing with Bobby's tegus...they LIVE outside and are always out there day in and day out, thats what they are used to so they adapt to their enviroment, same would go with yours after it started to live outside for a while...it would just adapt.

G

Yeah, my monitor lizards got like that too.
A step at a time let him get used to it.
Watch for him biteing at you too, sometimes they can get aggressive soaking up the sun outside, out of fear plus since they soak up the UV rays and get vitamins, some people say they get some chemical reactions they dont normally get from a indoor UV light, and that causes them to act differently. It really does make sense that whole natural sunlight chemical changes thing + all the new things hes experiencing outside. natural wind, weird textures of the ground, living animals, people, wilderness.

Draco D Tegu

Ok after reading this, I now have a question. The weather will soon be getting warm up here. I've had Gator about 7 months now and am still "bonding" with him as well as my new addition, Atlantis. Would it set me ten steps back to set them up an outdoor enclosure at this point and have to start all over again?

Or would I be better off waiting another year until they are first comfortable in thier INSIDE environment?

I mean healthwise, nothing healthier than the sun. Temperment wise, I don't want to have to run away from two charging tegus.....

Your thoughts?

FirstCoastHerps

It would be good to let him go outside, but for short periods of time a day. And hes acting agressive because he is not used to the new enviroment. Ive never had this problem with my tegu, but a sav. And over time it will get better, it might take a month or it might take a year. Its all about patients. Just keep working with em.

thomasjg23

I think it is also the new smells. My little guy was a little weird about being outside at first but now i don't even need a leash! Or at least I feel as though i don't need one.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When my Tegu was a hatchling (2~4 months old) I put him outside in a 6' round 300 gal Rubbermaid Stock Tank and he seemed to love it. At that time I would not have trusted him to free roam outdoors and wasn't even really comfortable holding him outdoors. I believe the solid sidewalls of the stock tank blocked enough of the view to help him stay calm.

His next year he was in full hibernation as spring warmed up. When the overnight lows got no lower than 55*F I moved his cage outside. He woke up slowly but seemed to enjoy basking in the warm afternoon sun before burrowing back down for a cold night. As overnight lows grew warmer, he grew more active.

As an adult, when I let him Free Roam outdoors (which I commonly do in summer) I keep a towel with me. If he "runs away" from me at all I just toss the towel on him. This calms him down and also protects me from his claws when I pick him up. I should add, my Tegu has never "ran away" from me but sometimes is resistent to being picked up once free roaming outdoors. The towel has calmed him down everytime.

In my opinion, as long as it is 70*F+ outside and a sunny day, I suspect a Tegu will enjoy the fresh air. Just be cautious with overnight low temps if you are moving your Tegu outside full time after being wintered at typical indoor temps. If the cold overnight temps catch him by surprise, he may not burrow down well enough to sustain safe body temps overnight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu