• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu and live food

cneffer

I can't get my tegu to eat live food he will literally run to the other side of the cage from them until I kill them. Then he will go and eat them. Any advise...

cneffer

i have a bearded dragon as well we feed him live and the places to get food from it is actually cheaper to buy live. I just didn't know if it was BC he was too young still or he just won't do it

Peasley

always listen to your tegu's body lingo. if you need to buy live for budget reasons, I would strongly suggest you prekill it like you have been. Can't force him to eat what he's afraid of ya know?

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
If live is cheaper, prekill it before feeding. Don't need to force live on him if he's afraid of it. And he will only be more afraid if when he's older if a rat/mouse injures him via bite.

cneffer

atlas is doing great we just prekill his food for him and he eats it up. How where he has found a new love for riding around in my hair. It was the shirt pocket but he has now ventured to the hair and to see the world. I tried to look up sites of how mother tegus deal with their your. Just curious is they were like turtles were they lay their eggs and leave or if they stick around and tend to their young. I figured if they stuck around they would eat them. But I couldn't find any sites or information at the library anyone else know where to find this info at.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure wild tegus leave their nests behind and the young fend for themselves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu