• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu cohabitation

Matthew Krzemienski

I have kept my two together since I got them (several months) without any problems. Obviously you should have a back up plan in case they don't end up getting along and there is clearly SOME risk involved. That being said, I have observed them to be fairly social animals, basking and bedding almost on the same schedule. Doesn't always work from what I'm told...just my experience

Matt

lect1

They're both young n arent bought at the same time ive had mine for about a month n just ordered another

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You just never know. When they are young the issues are incidental tail or toe nips that may happen when they are feeding. When they get older they may have dominance issues are feeding aggression issues. Like Matthew said, it is a question no one can answer until you see how they grow up together. Any owner should always be prepared to separate tegus. I have adults that can live together and some that need to be alone. I had yearlings that lived together and had to be separated at 2yo when one started nipping the other to get her out of the basking spot.

Matthew Krzemienski

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384108471.533299.jpg

Some encouragement...Dex and Roz chillin peacefully on their warming station whe I watch the Bears game

Matt

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am against cohabitation at young ages, but it can work - in some cases. I noticed in your avatar that you have a Colombian, is the other tegu you ordered also a Colombian? If the new one you ordered is an Argentine, you can not house them together.

Also, you have to have your backup plan ready - what will you be housing them in right now, and what backup enclosures do you plan on coming up with?

lect1

Yes its gonna be another colombian im going to have them in a forty gallon tank and im in the process of making a a bigger enclosure the back up is another 20 gallon tank until i get the bigger enclosure

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
cohabitation with any can be hit or miss, and fine for awhile and then bam randomly sometihng happens. I have noticed though that colombians are less tolerant to roommates so keep that in mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu