• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu enclosure

Lynn Whipple

My husband and I are planning on getting a B&W Tegu and I am looking into building an enclosure for the winter to keep in the house. We have a large rubber stock tank like the one pictured that we are going to clean out, and cut a piece of plywood for the top with hinges. Im thinking to use a Kane heat pad (during the winter) inside on cypress mulch. I also want to also have two lights: a "night" light and Powersun bulb.

Couple questions: general thoughts on the use of a tub? and what size bulb would I need for heating something like that? I'm thinking the 160 watt Powersun... also, due to the size, would I need a second UBV bulb?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• StockTank1.jpg
    StockTank1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 150

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Lynn,

That's a nice stock tank. Would you consider overwintering your tegu? If not, what would be the ambient winter temp in the house where the cage would be? If room temp or better, keep at least 1/2 top screen for ventilation. Must not ever be trapped in heat. = hot end and cool end for tegu to choose gradient.

Lynn Whipple

The ambient temp is pretty cool in the room the tank would be in. Probably around 65 degrees (it's a very old house and hard to keep warm). When considering the top, we were thinking to have two screen "windows" on each end. These would also be where lights would sit. In the center of the top would be a "door" that we can use to get into the cage.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as you can provide that gradient and some air flow, you're good. If animal is WC adult or nearly so, it may really want to overwinter, something to be mindful of.

Skeep

5 Year Member
I bought some ZooMed under aquarium/terrarium heat mats, stuck them to some glass and put them in the bottom. They work quite well and can't burn my gu, or me. I put tile ontop of the glass so she can lay on that without it being too hot. Not familiar with the Kane ones. You'd definitely want to get strong glass though, and that's smooth on the edges, like those glass bathroom scales.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu