• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu health concerns

tegu.crz

There is a male adult tegu we met last night. We totally fell in love with him. He has an incredible docile demeanor. He looks great and is active and all around appears to be really well cared for. However... as I asked the owner questions some big concerns came up. This tegu has always been free roam around the guys apartment (which I think greatly contributed to his awesome personality) but being free roam the guy never had proper lighting or humidity for him. This shocked me as he seems very healthy. The guy says everyday he put him in the bathtub for about an hr and a half. His skin toes and tail all appeared great. The second issue came when I asked about his diet. The guy said he primarily eats steaks... While we were there he gave him a hotdog which shocked me.

Again his health, activity level, body structure, and temperament don't indicate any health issues. He is a hearty happy boy. If I get this tegu and start giving him the care he needs am I looking at a huge vet bill down the road? I don't want to leave this guy in that home but I also want to prepare myself for what I may be purchasing.

I appreciate your time reading this and would love feedback. I attached a pic of this beautiful boy.

uploadfromtaptalk1396719117921.jpg

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Whether or not you take him is up to you. For me a Vet trip is always in order for new pets, a fecal, blood work and xrays will tell you a lot more about his over all health than just looking at him. The fecal of course is for parasites but the blood work and xrays will help catch any calcium deficiencies, early onset of Gout, Renal failure or anything like that due to his diet and husbandry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu