• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Odors?

DeCula

Up until now, I have seen no mention of offensive odors coming from Tegus or their feces. Now, obviously feces will smell, I don't expect it to smell like Cinnabun or anything, and I plan on cleaning out any nastiness daily. My question is, do Tegus (or their feces) give off a STRONG odor that will stink out my place. Personally I don't care, but my landlord is quite against me getting a 'Gu and I only convinced her just barely. If an offensive odor starts coming out of my apartment, I'll have to move, which isn't necessarily a problem, but I would rather move THEN get the tegu, and not have to move an acclimating reptile. Thanks for any input here!

lilgonz

As long as you spot clean the enclosure you should not have any issues with smell. I have not noticed any odors coming from the Gu's, now I also soak my tegus daily which will also help with odors as well as it helps with shedding

DeCula

lilgonz said:
As long as you spot clean the enclosure you should not have any issues with smell. I have not noticed any odors coming from the Gu's, now I also soak my tegus daily which will also help with odors as well as it helps with shedding

*Whew!* Thanks, thats great news. I'm hoping, if she can't see it, can't smell it, and can't hear it, she'll forget about it soon enough :)

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here are some other posts about Gu poo for your reading pleasure:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7200&hilit=smell+stink+poop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7200&hilit=smell+stink+poop</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4152&hilit=smelly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4152&hilit=smelly</a><!-- l -->

eddyjack

DeCula,
I was very concerned about odor as well and I have to say, my female puts off a HOLY HELL STANK when she poops! However I (like mentioned above) have made it a DAILY habit of giving her "tubby time". This is where she eat's, enjoy's her long relaxing warm bath and poops. I think the warm bath stimulates her movement and it is certainly easier to clean up there than in her enclosure. I don't think they necessarily like to poop where they live anyway. This is not to say that we have not had accidents in her enclosure but quik cleanup and no problem. I simply cannot tolerate odor in my home, it's just the way I am. I get her out of the tube towel dry her and that is usally when we bond with her. She seems much more comfortable having a full tummy, warm bath and we have a real neat relationship forming.
Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029