• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu opening mouth.

Zelera

5 Year Member
I have noticed this with my tegu past week or so that she is just barley opening her mouth off and on. I never had this problem in the past but i think from what i have read that it's a heating problem and that the cage is not hot enough but i just wanted to make sure.

Also, She has been trying to jump and hit the heat light as well.Is this also just a heating problem or do i need to get them farther away so she can't jump and hit them.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You need to provide more info.

How old is your Tegu?

What are your basking & ambient temps?? How did you measure it?

What are you using for heat & UVB and how far away from him is it?

jor71

5 Year Member
I may be wrong, but I thought when they open their mouth; it is a way for them to release heat from their body. I could be wrong, so hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I agree with Dave and think you need to provide us with what he is asking from you.

If you have pics, it would be helpful as well :)

Zelera

5 Year Member
I'm not completely sure on her age but i would say at least 3.

The temps are around 85-90
(only around winter.Summer its more hot)

I'm using 2 150wat sun glows.No uvb right now i took that light out to put a stronger light in to make cage hotter.

ill get more info tomorrow. I'm busy for the rest of the day.

Here are pictures of the cage but these are old.

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0918.jpg

Oddball

5 Year Member
i was generally sure that tegus thermo-regulated and were scared when their mouths were open

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bobby has said he doesn't think adults need UVB, at least not what a growing Juvi needs. I'd get the basking lights closer to the Tegu (then you can reduce the wattage). Halogens puts out more heat per watt then incandescents. And guard the bulbs so he can't accidentally get burned. More substrate would be good for burrowing unless he has a good hide.

Is the wood sealed?? Otherwise it will mold.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029