• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu passed a hard white ball after 2 enemas.. ???

ChubbyTegu

5 Year Member
My adult argentine BW Tegu hadn't pooped in about a week so the vet told me to try an enema. That seemed to do the trick. In the morning I found a runny poo and what looked to be the cause of the backup. It was a hard white clump about the size of a cherry tomato. I broke it open and it was just hard white and crumbly, kinda like dried urates (if I'm spelling that correctly). What might cause that? Or could it be a ball of calcium? I dust his food with rep-cal. ??? The ball didn't have the usual yellow with the white of his normal runny urates. Just all white. :?:

ChubbyTegu

5 Year Member
Really? He has a 1'x2' water dish that's filtered with a turtle filter. He mainly eats ground turkey, shrimp, talapia, eggs, ground venison once in w while.... He wont really eat fruit anymore. He used to eat grapes and mango....
I see him drink. He is only about a year old if that matters. He seems plugged up again. He hasn't pooped since the last 3 days ago, and he only at half his food today, which isn't like him. Any ideas?

ChubbyTegu

5 Year Member
Ok, sounds good. Should I be giving him enemas too? Also the vet said to use warm water with a couple drops of mild soap and a little mineral oil for the enema. Probably about 15cc or so total. Does that sound right?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
my tegu had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, after a few warm soaks and raising the humidity in the room it went away. it could be low humidity.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I had two Tegu that were impacted before ( one ate some mulch as a baby and the other one ate the cap off a door stopper ) . The warm baths would be enough. I wouldn't use any soap because he might want to drink some of it. Do you ever feed him any frozen/ thawed rodents like rats, quail, chicks ? If you want to you can put just a little bit of cod liver oil into the ground turkey or give him some raw chicken/ beff liver. How often do you give him the calcium powder ?

ChubbyTegu

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tips! I have been squeezing some of my fish oil pills out into his turkey. Correction on my previous post, it's miner-all (spelling?) not rep-cal that I give him. I usually put some on his food almost every day. I sprinkle some repti-vite about 3 times a week. The humidity could be higher I'm sure. He's in a 6'Lx4'Wx4'T and I have a hard time keeping it over 65-70%. He does wade in his water tub sometimes. I see him do it once in a while, but often find urates in the water. I'll try soaking him more often. Any guidlines for water temp? Thanks again for the input! :cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980