• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Pendant

Logie_Bear

So I saw a post by tresh earlier today about making jewelry out of tegu skin. I had been saving my girl Esmeralda's first shed for a few weeks now, trying to think of what to do with it and I just looooved tresh's idea. I actually flew by my local hobby lobby as soon as I was out of class to get a pendant. Now I just have to make myself a matching pair of earrings. :)

Here's what I just made. I went a little overboard with the glue... I'll remove it from the sides once everything is set. :)

1347335193381.jpg

Logie_Bear

Esmeralda shed last night, so I made a pair of earrings to match!
Now I have lots of shed to craft with!

These earrings are made from the skin on her legs, so they have a lot of white spots. I thought they came out pretty cool!

imag0717j.jpg

Logie_Bear

Kym123089 said:
Love those earrings! I'm gonna have to try this with Donatello's shed!

If you've got a hobby lobby in your area, they just started to carry a whole line of bezel jewelry. I'm going to make a bracelet next. :)

Also, you cant tell from the pic, but I also used 'ice' clear resin to fill the bezel and protect the skin.

Kym123089

I'm going tomorrow :) and Donatello just shed a huge piece off his tail so I'm gonna use that, it has an awesome striped pattern. I imagine you could use the modpodge they make for 3-d effects

Logie_Bear

Post pics when you've finished! We'll start a new fashion trend yet. :)

Oh, and if you use modge podge, make sure you let each layer dry before adding another. I've had it turn very cloudy when I've gotten impatient (which is often) and just globbed it all on. '^_^

Logie_Bear

I will be returning to the craft store today for more bezels. A friend of mine wants a pair of the earrings so I'll take some in-progress shots and post them for ya. :)

Logie_Bear

Alrighty ya'll, you asked for it so here is my little step-by-step for how I made these pieces of jewelry:

Step 1:

Obtain a bezel! They come in lots of shapes, sized and designs so go knock yourself out.

scaled.php

Step 2/3:

You need some shed skin (obviously) and something to mount it on. I use scrapbooking paper. It comes in lots of colors, and I fully intend to experiment with more of the designs later on. Just cut a piece to the size of your bezel and attach it to the shed.

scaled.php

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg96/scaled.php?server=96&filename=imag0726y.jpg&res=landing

^ I use an acrylic craft glue that dries transparent to mount the sheds.

Step 4:

Place your skins into the bezel and mix up some resin to seal it in place. I like the 2 part epoxy resins, personally, but there are lots of jewelry making options to choose from. Pour it on top, make sure you tap out any bubbles, and let it set for the next 6-12 hours.

scaled.php

^ That's a pic of my pouring the resin mix into the bezel

Anywho, the next day you can wear and show off your cool new jewelry!
Here's what I made yesterday. :D

scaled.php

bwiegmann

That is so cool!!!! Beautiful set you have there lol! Thanks for the step by step I Can't wait to try it, Kyle my caiman lizard is shedding now, I think with his enlarged scales it'll look awesome!!! I'll post pics when I'm done :)

Kym123089

So I went to michaels and they have charms you can use for this! I'm going to start doing a charm bracelet for his sheds to show the changes in color.

[attachment=5150]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347648640.556762.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347648640.556762.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 11

Kym123089

Rough examples lol (first try) dont judge. The glue actually stuck to the surface I laid them on, I'm gonna have to find a new place to dry them

[attachment=5153][attachment=5154][attachment=5156]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724090.141626.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724090.141626.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 20
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724104.950923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724104.950923.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724117.300539.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724117.300539.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724128.689897.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347724128.689897.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 19

Logie_Bear

Looks good! I like the reddish circle one. :) What did you go with to seal over the scales?

I really like the charm bracelet idea. I may have to do one of those as well. A charm for all my critters. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus