• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu questions

MadameButterfly

Hi

I just got a new Golden Tagu and I have a few questions

It is only about 4 months old and I don't know it's gender yet so I just refer to it as female, I fed her and she was chasing an insect and got herself stuck behind the tray I use for her water bowl/bath and eventually wriggled her way out but then she was licking underneath her and it looked like some type of sack sticking out of her belly that was pink and even had veins so I thought that maybe she had cut herself and it was her intestines hanging out so I was really panicing and she was frantic so I couldn't catch her because I was afraid I'd make it worse if she was bouncing around so I left her for a while to calm down and checked on her again an hour later and managed to catch her and I checked her belly and there is no cuts, the sack was gone so I have no idea what it was unless she is a he and it was his male parts making an appearance? any ideas?

Also lights, I have a 100 watt basking lamp and a UV light but do I need to have them on 24 hours a day or is it better to cycle them to be more like real sunlight? so far I have had the UV light on about 13 hours a day but the basking light on 24 hours a day so is it better to knock them both off for a period each day to emulate night time for it?

Thanks

MB

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi,.. :) welcome to the site and congratulations on the new gu. Most people cycle the lights on a schedule to mimic the seasons, sun rise and set as well as your tegus schedule. Like 12 hours on and 12 off or 8 on and 16 off. Depending on where you're located, the time of year and or how much time your gu spends out.

Like previously stated it sounds like it may have given itself a rectal prolapse from pushing too hard and struggling try to get out from behind the tray.

MadameButterfly

Thanks bubblz, I live in Ireland so for now I think the 12 hours on and 12 off would be the best, as for the prolapse is that dangerous? Should I have her checked by a vet or is it something she can fix on her own?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
12 on 12 off should be fine. As long as the prolapse doesn't appear again everything should be fine. Just keep an eye on it. Keep her hydrated as well.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
A prolapse is when the rectum protrudes from the cloaca. If left untreated it can cause all sorts of medical hell, so I suggest making a vet appointment. I personally have never had a reptile prolapse, but if one of mine did that's what I would do.

And best of luck/congrats on the Colombian. When this situation resolves itself please post some pics.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, a prolapse is what has been stated above. I wouldn't worry too much unless it shows up again. And I forgot to say welcome, so welcome. If you have any questions, fire away, as you can see, we're quick to respond.

MadameButterfly

Thanks James, tegubuzz and DragonMetalHead, I'll remove that tray from the tank for the moment and get one that there is less chance of it happening and I have a friend that can check her out tomorrow for me just to be sure she is OK. As for pics Dragon she is still very nervous so spends a lot of time buried in the bedding so it is hard to get a pic but I am taking my time trying to get her use to me by just sitting with my hand in the tank for half an hour 3 times a day and letting her decide when she wants to approach me, it will take a while but I don't want to stress her

MadameButterfly

TeguBuzz said:
Sounds good. What's your setup like? Let's see some pics.

At the moment this is the tank, I own a South carolina corn snake that was living in it but moved her to a smaller tank for the moment to give the tegu the room, it (the tank) is about 2 and a half foot long but I am getting a longer one made. My brother in law works in a factory that makes stuff out of perspex so he can make make it to any size I ask. As you can see on the right the cat tray I was using as a water source is where she got stuck so I figure for now I will change that and get something like a dogs water dish and it will also free up a lot more space for her too.

Image105.jpg

Image104.jpg

Image103.jpg

Khoilie

I have my UVB light on a digital timer ($13.00 at hardware store). ON-12:00 noon, OFF-12:00 midnight. I live in Canada and its winter right now so im using a 50w Infrared heat lamp for the basking spot which i leave on 24hrs a day. keeps his basking spot at 90F and the ambient around 75F. Reptiles cannot see the Infrared light spectrum so its fine to leave on 24/7 it wont bother them when sleeping, it also works as a nice light for viewing your terrarium at night.

I had the same issue with my tegu's pool. he kept wedging himself behind it and getting stuck so i took out the kitty litter box (what i use for his pool) and cleared away all the cypress mulch, I put the pool back in and pushed it into the very corner, then i built up the substrate around it, pushed mulch into all the cracks and holes around the pool and packed it all down tight. he doesnt bother trying to get behind it anymore because i guess it would be too much work lol, also u can put a rock or something heavy into ur pool to add some weight so yours cant move it either. you could even go as far as to use some industrial strength Velcro tape ($10-local hardware store) to secure it to the floor/wall then hes got no chance moving it lol

heres a few pics to show what im talking about
photo-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

MadameButterfly

Just a little update, she seems fine today, she's running around the tank like there isn't a bother on her and I managed to get her to eat 3 crickets too and I even managed to get her to stay still long enough to take a picture

Image106.jpg

Speaking of food what would be the average amount of crickets to feed her and how often? also I hear they like boiled eggs, do I just feed it whole to her or would it be better to mash it up in a bowl?

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
So pretty. The gold Colombian tegus have such great colors. When Kodo was eating crickets, he put away quite a few. The bigger tegus get, the bigger the appetite. With the eggs, as with any food items offered, it should be cut into small, bite-sized pieces.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad to hear she's doing better,.. take some time to check out the tegu food list if you haven't already. Feed her as much as she wants when ever she's hungry. Some feed smaller meals more often while others feed large meals less often. Eggs should be fed every once in a while as a treat only.

MadameButterfly

Thanks Dragon, I am just boiling an egg and am going to try her with it to see if she'll eat it, I can't imagine that she will be able to finish the whole lot but I have a little bowl that I will cut it up into and leave it in her tank for a few hours and see if she is intrested in it.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Variety it the key to balanced nutrition. Tegus will take a wide range of insects and meats so find out what your little guy likes.

MadameButterfly

She went burrowing last night (a while after she ate the eggs) at about 10pm and she hasn't reappeared and it is 8.30 pm here now, is that normal? I'm worried about her now but I've read that you shouldn't disturb them when they are in their burrows so I don't want to distress her by checking on her. She hasn't even been out to feed or lie in her heat spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029