• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu update w/ a few ?'s

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i am giving you guys/gals a bit of an update on my two tegus achilles and nero. first ill start with achilles, he is now 18 1/2 " an increase of 1 1/2 " in the 3 wks i have had him. he is still very flighty but will calm down once picked up. he is starting to eat a little bit but it only like every 2-3 days and not much maybe about a 1/2 a teaspoon. i am currently using the t-shirt method and i put my hand in his enlosure and let him come too me. then there is nero my big girl, she is now starting to pick up on her growth. she is now a bit over 42". i would like to get a weight on her, my guess would be about 10lbs. she is still eating everyday, and eats about a lb. of food a day. she is very robust and heavy. she is starting to get more white after each shed. now as for the questions i was wonder what(if any) methods do you guys use to weigh your larger tegus? and also nail clipping what do you guys do? i have tried using regular nail clipping but nero dosnt like being held down, the best i could do was wrap her head in a towel and hold her down and do each toe asap but they are still sharp afterwards. and its starting to be a pain when i try to hold her and she wants to get a better grip.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i am trying a little experiment on my phone to see if i can post pics on here let me know if you guys can see the picture please and thanks for helping

faceshot.jpg

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Clipping your Gu's nails would be a lot easier task with an extra set of hands. As for as the weight, weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding your tegu.

...Jefroka

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use a fish scale (the ones you keep in a tackle box to wieght fish you catch i got a digital one from the sports store). I get a gym bag that my tegu feels comfortable in and zero out the scale with that and then put my tegu in. The vet also likes this method and uses it now for all his "fast and fisty" patients. You can also get pull scales at some hardware stores but i like the digital out put.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thanks guys i going to get a digital scale in the morning im going to try the duffel bag method thanks. also the more time i spend with achilles the more i see he is the exact opposite of nero. first of all nero has been tame and calm since day1 i mean i was able to take her outside with out a leash when she was still small but achilles is very timid and jumpy even opened his mouth a few times trying to bite me lol. nero has been eating since a few minutes after opening the box and hasnt stopped since lol and achilles eat like every few days but i already know its due too the winter season. but i see every tegu is different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu