• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tell the truth!

Compnerd7

tommyboy said:
Compnerd7 said:
That's the reason I am single... lol

because you told too many stories, or so you dont have to tell any? Either way, consider yourself lucky!

Hmm I would have to say both to that lol!

I don't expect a girl to like my herps and inverts, I would settle for a good tolerance, and understanding that they are part of my life, always have been, and always will be. I usually go from a chill guy to a freak after I am asked " What are your Hobbies? " ... "ohh you know... I enjoy hiking, the outdoors, video games, photography, basketball, (this is where everything goes wrong) sci-fi, I really love animals and I have quite a few pets" ... "I love animals too! What kind do you have?" ... "2 dogs........ 4 large Lizards, 2 scorpions, 8 poison frogs, 10 Taranchulas, 2 teripins, you know stuff like that..." End of Line.

But being single and having this hobby is awesome. I get whatever I can take care of, I can jump up and go on a herping trip with my friends anytime, and I only ever hear how awesome Reptiles, Amphibians, and Invertebrates are.

tommyboy said:
Tell the truth.....how many of you have gone to a reptile show, bought something you didn't plan on ( or wasn't supposed to ) and lied to your husband,wife or parents about how much it cost or why you just HAD to have it?
What did you get and what was your story? I'm looking for some good ideas!:-/

If your looking on a good idea on what to do tommyboy... Gently and tactfully fess up, and tell the truth. Because they will find out someday. UNLESS it is something small you can keep hidden in your dresser. Your secret is safe with us;)

tommyboy

^^ Lol...I did fess up! Maybe not so gently and tactfully though. I just said screw it and walked in with the rubbermaid container. To my surprise I didn't even get the normal dirty smirk Ive become so fond of!

Riplee

5 Year Member
"I bought them because I want to breed them to sell babies then buy your gift , honey...."

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Constantly....

I used to sneak little things in the house when I was a little kid. I'd bring home strays and my mom would send them away. When I was old enough to work, I worked at a pet dept. I started a gerbil genetics project, they had to go. Snuck in guinea pigs, too noisy and got caught. The giant oscar and goby freaked her out, they had to go. That was hard because I had those fish for years...drove them to Atlanta and back...wow.

Now I buy things and tell my husband they cost a little less. Or I just don't tell him and he finds them later. The worst one was when I got Chester. I made the arrangement with his previous owner. It was right before Christmas and money was really tight. I went ahead and paid shipping,etc. I made arrangements on my cell phone and was out for the evening, never having told my husband about any of it. The owner calls my house to verify some info or to let us know he had shipped. My husband said, "What shipped?" She said, "You know, the tegu." My husband flipped. My teenage daughter was thinking, "I'm out of here." I think he was more upset that I didn't tell him. I knew he would say No so I was going to beg forgiveness rather than ask permission, so to speak. And it's not so much 'asking' permission, but he lives here, too, so I figure he deserves some respect.

Heather, once I rather centered my whole life around it, I think my mom finally got the idea, too. My entire extended family is deathly afraid of snakes and anything without fur. They think I'm nuts....or adopted. But when we went to family reunion and visits, I was the kid outside playing with dogs and walking through woods.

tommyboy

^^ Laura, that cracks me up! You just described my life perfectly.....down to the spouse getting the phone call by accident. You are right though......they do deserve the respect of communication.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just ordered some bugs that I've wanted. My birthday is coming up so I told him, "Hey! Look what was delivered today!!! Now you don't have to buy me a birthday present!" I think he was OK with it since it was a package of baby T's and a little frog. All pretty cheap to maintain at this point.

LizardzRock

hearing all the stories and tales is great. I had much similar experiences growing up with my mom. I remember my dad and I use to ride bikes to woods, streams, etc trying to locate free food for the 20+ aquariums I had lining our garage perimeter on the inside. Those were good times(he passed about 11 years ago when I was a senior in H.S.) Had speckled kings, rat snakes, box turtles, anoles, all the different kinds of hog-nose, even had a few venomous ones like a cottonmouth, and pygmy rattler. Thanks everyone for sharing their stories, they brought back some good memories that i have not touched on in a while:)

larissalurid

Compnerd7 said:
tommyboy said:
Compnerd7 said:
That's the reason I am single... lol

because you told too many stories, or so you dont have to tell any? Either way, consider yourself lucky!

Hmm I would have to say both to that lol!

I don't expect a girl to like my herps and inverts, I would settle for a good tolerance, and understanding that they are part of my life, always have been, and always will be. I usually go from a chill guy to a freak after I am asked " What are your Hobbies? " ... "ohh you know... I enjoy hiking, the outdoors, video games, photography, basketball, (this is where everything goes wrong) sci-fi, I really love animals and I have quite a few pets" ... "I love animals too! What kind do you have?" ... "2 dogs........ 4 large Lizards, 2 scorpions, 8 poison frogs, 10 Taranchulas, 2 teripins, you know stuff like that..." End of Line.

But being single and having this hobby is awesome. I get whatever I can take care of, I can jump up and go on a herping trip with my friends anytime, and I only ever hear how awesome Reptiles, Amphibians, and Invertebrates are.

tommyboy said:
Tell the truth.....how many of you have gone to a reptile show, bought something you didn't plan on ( or wasn't supposed to ) and lied to your husband,wife or parents about how much it cost or why you just HAD to have it?
What did you get and what was your story? I'm looking for some good ideas!:-/

If your looking on a good idea on what to do tommyboy... Gently and tactfully fess up, and tell the truth. Because they will find out someday. UNLESS it is something small you can keep hidden in your dresser. Your secret is safe with us;)

Hey, not all girls don't like herps! There's definitely girls on this website for one lol, plus it's funny how I am the girl in my relationship and my bf is the one that doesn't like a lot of pets or things like my scorpion. Just look at my pet list though lol. I don't understand why more people don't like reptiles or other animals though. They are better friends than most people in my opinion lol. Plus they are so beautiful, especially reptiles.

All these stories are great lol, very interesting and entertaining to read. Back when I lived with my parents they kept saying no more pets and somehow I always convinced them for one more thing lol. First it was no more pets, but they let my sister get guinea pigs, so I just had to have a Kinkajou of course (which I wanted for a while before) and then when I came across another Dumbo Rat after already having 2 rats, including 1 dumbo I convinced her because of how hard they are to come across around here at least. Then it would be one more thing like okay fine finches are small so I was able to buy those too. I've ended up with a whole zoo of animals at this point! Sadly the one type of animal they wouldn't let me have while living with them were reptiles, so I started buying them when I moved out. Now with my boyfriend it's turning into the same thing of just 1 more pet lol. I'm still waiting for my Tegu to hatch and was looking at getting a rhacodactylus leachianus since I've been wanting a medium sized arboreal lizard for some time too lol. Hopefully I can convince him with one's cuteness at the NY expo coming up if I come across one. ;]

tommyboy

laurarfl said:
I just ordered some bugs that I've wanted. My birthday is coming up so I told him, "Hey! Look what was delivered today!!! Now you don't have to buy me a birthday present!" I think he was OK with it since it was a package of baby T's and a little frog. All pretty cheap to maintain at this point.

So.....what you are saying is that i should order first and communicate later? Lol.

tommyboy

I'm heading to a great little reptile store today to pick up some feeders.
I will not bring home a new animal!

Let's see if that works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member