• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

THE RIGHT LIGHT COMBO FOR GREAT TEGU HEALTH

dadasgirl

5 Year Member
]Thank Heavens for all you guys - I am learning lots and strive to be a great tegu mom. My question concerns which brand of light to use for basking and UVB? I have read past answers & want to make sure my choices are suitable for my tegu.

I have a juve - eating well, getting acclimated to his us & his home. We have him under a 125 watt basking bulb ( spot/flood light style ) by Zoo Med. The box says it offers heat & UVA. We also have him under a Repti Sun 5.0 coil UVB bulb. I have read from many of you that coil bulbs suck.....SO....

is there a brand of UVB only bulbs - in the flood/spot light style that you reccommend? My enclosure isnt set up for the tubular lights that most rave about. Also - how do you guys feel about those red/blue nightime bulbs - are they just for show or do they benefit the animal in any way?

See below - pic of his habitat - there is about 20 inches from the lighted domes to the cypress. the enclosure is 4 ft long.

Thanks In Advance

dadasgirl

5 Year Member
sorry my original pic was too big...here is the resized image - there are spaces for 3 domes lights at the top where you see the decorative wood finish at the top. The area with the cypress muclh is where he basks and burrows - the far end with the water dish is his cool side.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 5

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At that height you'll need a Mercury Vapor bulb such as a Mega-Ray, T-Rex Active UV Heat or ZooMed Power Sun.

Nice job on the enclosure. Unfortunately it will last maybe a year if he hibernates. Then you'll need a minimum of a 7ft x 3ft enclosure, bigger is better.

dadasgirl

5 Year Member
THANKS - I am on my way to the store now - we've had him for approx 2 weeks with just the basking heat lamp & the crappy coil UVB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029