• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Thinking monitor?

Adam87

5 Year Member
ok so i had a savannah once and he was awsome but im looking for something way cooler i kinda want a monitor that is more aboreal if i spelled that right haha but some monitors ive been looking into that in all out honesty dont kno all that much about but if u can point me to a care sheet or if u do kno some facts it would really be helpful cause i can't find any care sheets excpt for one

Argus
Nile (kinda thinking)
Mangrove( more so)
or a Lace but i kno there very rare and hard to come by and are very expessive but it would just be awsome to have one or if you knowof another type of monitor and just fyi size doesnt madder to me just need the facts

now i kno that they can be very agressive but then again ive also seen a nile that was just as tame as a tegu im not lying look up "larry the nile monitor" on youtube haha but just some basic stuff substrate food water temp caging and size all that good stuff thanx

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What size/type enclosure are you considering for this? Would you be happy with an animal that lived in it's enclosure but wasn't easily handleable?

Be leery of using the tames Nile Monitor in the world as the baseline for your expectation. Instead read lots and lots of care sheets and see what is typical for the species...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i too am thinking about getting a monitor but would prefer something smaller like a ackie or timor. i already have two huge lizards and three that will also get huge. i dont need anymore large lizards lol maybe a large snake like a red-tail ;) good luck with your choice. but as stated above research research research!!!!!!!

isdrake

5 Year Member
A monitor that is really beautiful and not to big is the Varanus glauerti. You should definitely take a look at it. :p

How much space do you have? And are you prepared to have a monitor that might be extremely hard to handle? One that you only can look at and only handle if it's absolute necessary? There is always that risk. And it's sad so see people get rid of pets just because you can't pet them if you know what I mean.

Doesn't the Nile need like whole room? And they swim a lot to, nothing you can put up in the living room. :p If you want one of the extremes (like the Nile) I think the Varanus salvadorii is a better choice.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I personally love Argus mointors. I've known a few that were pet able on their own terms but didnt really care for handling much. A plus is the fact that the are very entertaining to watch, they'll tripod for looking for food and dig for hours on end. Only reason i dont have one is that i dont own my own place yet and they need alot of room, my tegus cage can easily be moved, but a full room cage is alittle harder.

As for niles, not my favorite. They do require alot of space, and a large water tank to really thrive and not get fat like the tend to get.

By your suggestions of spieces i take it your not into the heavier monitors but would perfer a streamline lookin one. I know this isnt a monitor but have you looked at some of the sailfin lizards, they get big (not as big as a nile but still bigish) they really are rather unsual animals. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sailfindragon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sailfindragon.com/</a><!-- m -->

I also like the sand monitors but they all tend to be a mix, they are still a nice lookin monitor

Adam87

5 Year Member
yea i am no where near ready for a large monitor im more waiting till i move into my apartment cause then i'll have more space cuz my tegu cage alone is huge, so i got some time to do alot of research, as for am i ready for a flighty lizard u bet i have a green iguana that hates being held and let me tell u ppl think im emo cause my arms r all cut up haha, ive held a mangrove once at a pet shop they were selling him for $100 and he was 2ft long in 40 gallon tank he was pretty flighty but once held him for awhile he calmed right down but my right hand still s scars from it back legs.

as for enclosure i wanna build a tall cage so i can put logs in for them to climb but i dont want to exceed 8ftx6x6

but after watching some vids im more leaning toward Argus and Mangrove cuz one the argus just looks freakin awsome and doesnt seem as bad and mangrove cause they dont grow all that big and i have an idea of ow they get

one last question idk which monitor it was but i was reading a care sheet online and it sed for this monitor as an adult needed the basking spot to be150 degrees how the heck do u get it that hot haha i can get up to 130 135, but thanx for all the questions and comments

kaa

5 Year Member
130 is usually the standard, you just move the basking platform closer to the heat source. the ambient temp only needs to be around 90, and the cool side about 75-80. i think.

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
lol the issue doesnt lie in reaching 150 degree basking spot..its getting a 150 degree basking spot that is as large as the animal. That requires a little more thought. I can show you the lights that were done in my tegu cage as to how to get the basking spot large enough. As for heating grab 3 or 4 60w floodlights from Lowes or home depot and then adjust the distance according. figure out the distance and all that BEFORE putting it in the tank. I'll post a pic of an awesome argus monitor enclosure:
This is all one house
cage081908008.jpg

cage081908006.jpg

122008031.jpg

all of these cages are connected by tunnels across his ceiling

ts090408002.jpg

skippy

5 Year Member
i'd go with a dumerils monitor if i was you. semi arboreal, rarely pass 4 feet in length, known to be fairly docile(for a monitor) and will eat almost anything that you can come up with much like a tegu :-D

here's a little info which is nowhere near complete or even entirely correct but will give you a bit of an idea of the sp: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptileguru.com/pdf/Dumerils%20Monitors.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reptileguru.com/pdf/Dumerils%20Monitors.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Adam87

5 Year Member
whoa White_Lotus that enclosue is sick nasty i pretty much made up my mind that im going to get an Argus too and no lie in the apartment im getting has a 7x8x7.5 if i could just close the area off it be perfect and to everyone else thanx for the suggestions but like i said it going to be awhile until i move and will end up changing my mind haha

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
if i were you i would get in contact with a few breeders of argus monitors ask for pics of their habitat also get to know the parents, find out temperament, size all the good stuff to learn before buy the product of breeding. I wish i knew all of this before i bought my first tegu maybe i wouldnt have the issue i have now >.< but its ok live and learn, then share your findings. Also i hope you know you don't need anything that elaborate i was just sharing something pretty awesome =P And i'm pretty sure i'll sounds like a broken record but...research reseach reasearch research! Argus monitors are beautiful animals that can become very tolerant very quickly and make awesome friends! but those nails are crazy long...hmm lemme find pic of his argus up close..i'll post it below this post.

Adam87

5 Year Member
thanx for the info and heads up and i'll be doin my homework before i get one for sure and i know the nails on monitors are crazy haha and it looks like hes got some darggers on him i wouldnt to fight with him at all haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont