• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Too cool here for extended handling?

Fangirl

I hope this isn't a silly question...
Living in the midlands in the UK our normal climate isn't exactly tegu friendly, usually a little too cool and dry. Obviously I'll do whatever is necessary to keep tank conditions correct, but I'm hoping to spend a lot of time with the tegu bonding outside its enclosure in the house. Is there any limit to the amount of time it should be out with me because of the climate here? I don't want to risk any respiratory or shedding problems.

TIA x

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's not a silly question at all. If he is able to access his basking heat at will in his enclosure, taking him out is 75+ F weather is fine. If you mean much cooler than that, then perhaps two options. One is to take him out when he's done for the day so that you have him out to sleep on you. Another option could be a heated room if wandering is what you want. Does this help?

Fangirl

Yes thank you! Often lower than 75, our living room is very small so maybe we'll just get a heater and sweat it out with him or her

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes thank you! Often lower than 75, our living room is very small so maybe we'll just get a heater and sweat it out with him or her
That's what I would do. Two things. One- choose a good quality heater that you use carefully for safety, and two- no need to bake the room when he's out. Around 80F.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029