• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Too much water in baby tegu terrarium?

Russ Welch

Hey all. Im a soon to be proud new friend of a baby Tegu. While hes a baby ill be keeping him in a 36 x 18x 12 terrarium. Im expecting him today. So I decided to have his new living area ready to go when he gets here. I was told several times that the substrate cant be dry to get it damp. So instead of just misting down the terrarium I got a flower watering jug
and went in a zig zag pattern over the substrate. Not trying to soak it just wet it. But after I was done I noticed the top layer when I put my hand on it felt like it was floating. I used two layers for the substrate, bottom layer is eco earth. Top layer is repti bark. The floating motion went away. And the repti bark is damp, but the eco earth under it is soaked. Like really wet dirt feeling. But its not puddling up water just soaked eco earth. Is this safe for my Tegu to burrow in? I know it might sound dumb to ask I just want to be safe and I dont want him to burrow and end up drowning. Hopefully the excess water evaporates before he gets here tomorrow in about 12 hours. But theres alot of it. Also I always hear about them needing fairly big water bowls. But im paranoid the little guy might get in this but not be able to get out and drown. Any info or feedback or opinions on these two topics would be greatly appreciated.
*1st picture is of the soaked substrate compared to the not so wet substrate so you can see the difference. Second 2 pictures are of the water bowl. Im worried the sides may be to big*
1411470255540.jpg
1411470332083.jpg
1411470440747.jpg

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looking good! I think you're on the right track. He should be able to reach the water and the substrate looks good. Be sure to update us when your tegu arrives!

Russ Welch

I just received bad news. They sent my Tegu out late. So he was at the fed ex facility since 6:54pm yesterday. And hes just leaving today. Will he be alright when he gets to me tomorrow?

Russ Welch

What I was thinking of doing was if it is too high, ill bury the bowl down in the substrate to where the top is even with the ground. And see if that works.

Russ Welch

If these dont work ill cave in and buy a bowl that have the ramp leading into it. Also there is only about 3-4 inches between where the heat lamp sits and that basking spot in the top right corner. Is that too close to the heat?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu