• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Toxicity of pressure treated wood

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I was planning on building my outdoor enclosure out of pressure treated wood, but have read contradictory information on it's toxicity to animals. Some sites state that the new pressure treated wood does not leach chemicals. It appears that the new wood contains chromium, which binds the arsenic and copper and doesn't let them leach out. The old wood only contains copper and arsenic. Other sites and some reptile owners on forums say that even the new stuff is bad. Look at this link. Any experiences with it?

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/chemwood.html

Dana C

My thought would be to not risk it. However in an outdoor situation, vapor, if any will not be an issue. It is my impression that Tegus don't chew wood but I don't really know.
Having said that, you can buy galvanized chain link fence poles and fittings that are used to attach wood panels. You can treat the wood yourself with Water Seal, or marine urethane.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Dana C said:
My thought would be to not risk it. However in an outdoor situation, vapor, if any will not be an issue. It is my impression that Tegus don't chew wood but I don't really know.
Having said that, you can buy galvanized chain link fence poles and fittings that are used to attach wood panels. You can treat the wood yourself with Water Seal, or marine urethane.

I was just at the Home Depot and I decided not to build it from pressure treated. I am just going to use ACX plywood and regular lumber and just paint it with latex based deck paint. It will sit on a pressure treated skid foundation, but no pressure treated wood will contact the tegu. Shower drains will let out excess water when it rains.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029